Summer Repotalong Event

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread makes me wish I could join you in your crazy. So June 16th and 17th would be good to repot my junipers which arent draining well here in NJ?

Just don't cut off any foliage.

You should come though!

good assortment

You probably have many safe full moons before it's too cold, it may be too hot.

I don't want to get you into trouble down yonder.

You should come though!

Sorce

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol it's not too hot. They are just now getting acclimated to heat. Most of my tropicals don't get in super growth phase until early fall.. Anyway, there is so much humidity they will be in suspended animation the whole time

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chicagoans, the "Repotalong" is tomorrow at Sorce's place, I will be dropping in late morning. PM Sorce for the address. Berwyn will never be the same.

Remember its is our Great Lakes micro climate that allows us to get away with this, if you don't have one of the 10 largest bodies of fresh water in the world within a dozen miles of you, this odd off season repotting is not recommended. Or repot at your own risk.

After care is important. Truth is, with good after care many species can be repotted "out of season".

I have had poor results with larch. Larch is the one species I personally am "locked in" on spring repot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chicagoans, the "Repotalong" is tomorrow at Sorce's place, I will be dropping in late morning. PM Sorce for the address. Berwyn will never be the same.

Remember its is our Great Lakes micro climate that allows us to get away with this, if you don't have one of the 10 largest bodies of fresh water in the world within a dozen miles of you, this odd off season repotting is not recommended. Or repot at your own risk.

After care is important. Truth is, with good after care many species can be repotted "out of season".

I have had poor results with larch. Larch is the one species I personally am "locked in" on spring repot.
Have a blast and post some before and after pics please.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Doubting Thomas.

Repent!

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I'm about 3k miles away and I did the majority of my mid summer repots yesterday I will unfortunately be unable to attend. I'll be there in spirit and repot something tomorrow.

Temps have cooled down a bit, we've gotten some rain the last few days and it lined up with the moon, figured it was a good time to do some stuff. Repotted about 30 little birch volunteers and about 20 little siberian elms I plucked last fall into baskets, dug an alder and took prunus triloba cuttings.

Repotted birch look something like this
20220715_172239.jpg
Elms look something like that
20220715_174712.jpg
Collected alder about 10 inches tall
20220715_021124.jpg
I still need to stick these cuttings in something.
20220715_033645.jpg

Attachments

• 20220715_172239.jpg
    20220715_172239.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since I'm about 3k miles away and I did the majority of my mid summer repots yesterday I will unfortunately be unable to attend. I'll be there in spirit and repot something tomorrow.

Temps have cooled down a bit, we've gotten some rain the last few days and it lined up with the moon, figured it was a good time to do some stuff. Repotted about 30 little birch volunteers and about 20 little siberian elms I plucked last fall into baskets, dug an alder and took prunus triloba cuttings.

Repotted birch look something like this
View attachment 447217
Elms look something like that
View attachment 447212
Collected alder about 10 inches tall
View attachment 447215
I still need to stick these cuttings in something.
View attachment 447216
Looking good. Glad the weather got better for you and I hope the fires are dying down around you.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

I'm sure it will be quite the event, wish I could go.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I went Thursday had a ball. Always a good time at Sorce’s house. Wish I could be there tomorrow!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just don't cut off any foliage.

You should come though!

You probably have many safe full moons before it's too cold, it may be too hot.

I don't want to get you into trouble down yonder.

You should come though!

Sorce
Is it bring a plant and something to pass? 😄

joint-cheech-and-chong (1).gif

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois @sorce can you take a picture / figure out what kind of pine/juniper tree is in Sorce’s backyard. He gave me some babies and I want to verify what they are!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce! your camera still looks like a dream sequence in a TV show and/or someone smeared french fry grease on the lens. I guess some things don't change. Thanks for documenting, you still growing american elm and ERC?

It was already 5 years ago that the old one went extra dreamy!

I'm trying to make 6 years with this one at least!

Hell yes!
Both repotted in Summer!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the spirit of the repotalong. First a few things I dont really care if the live or not:

#1 - Kei Apple. Grown from seed. Water no longer draining well. Has not been repotted since it was moved from its seed tray this past winter while indoors. Was pretty rootbound but had one major long taproot which I removed.

20220716_213300.jpg
20220716_213352.jpg
20220716_213957.jpg

#2. Shimpaku Juniper Cutting. This was a cutting I started last summer. It soldiered on and finally added some growth this summer, though its still tiny. I removed no roots, just put it in a bigger pot with better draining soil. Just needs to grow.

20220716_214558.jpg
20220716_214601.jpg
20220716_214646.jpg

#3: Wild Cherry of some sort. I plucked from the garden because I liked the curved trunk. Its been neglected off to the side but is hanging on. Soil is not draining. When I unpotted it I was surprised at how robust the roots were. I cut a portion of the taproot off but kept about 80% of the roots. Im moving to the deciduous shady table to recover. Once i see it show life, im pounding with low nitrogen ferts before autumn.

20220716_214857.jpg
20220716_215001.jpg
20220716_215220.jpg

Top Bottom