Summer Repotting For the Cool Kids.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Spring, there are so many unpredictables.

Here, swelling buds, and greening Junipers means absolutely nothing.
Buds can remain slighlty cracked for weeks, with no further sign of movement until after the LAST Last freeze.

Further, since almost any tree will have enough locally stored energy to begin growth, we have near zero gauge of health before growth begins, whereas after a spring growing season, we have an excellent gauge of tree health, with roots at the drainholes even.

If you get between a Spring Bear and it's food, yes, this is an Oxymoron, as you become the food....

Nourishment is no less necessary for a spring tree.....so why do we put our pruners between the leaves and it's root tips at this crucial time?

I'm still rocking 100% success (if approached properly) with Spruce, Juniper, Mugo, and Boxwood.
Multiples.

And the handful of others Purposely Repotted in Summer, following appropriate rain and wane guidelines, have also remained successful.

I repot around the first or second Full moon after the Solstice.
Boxwood and Junipers first since they will grow again after Summer Dormancy, and Spruce and Mugo Later even into the third Full moon if neccesary.

Sorce

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking about your theory on repotting after the waning moon recently. I had to do some pretty severe repottings this season; a lot of stuff that hadn't been repotted in over 5 years... My trees were telling me they were ready to go so I had no choice but to repot. So far everything is going well.

Off topic I know, but do you get another custom title for 20k posts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about your theory on repotting after the waning moon recently. I had to do some pretty severe repottings this season; a lot of stuff that hadn't been repotted in over 5 years... My trees were telling me they were ready to go so I had no choice but to repot. So far everything is going well.

Off topic I know, but do you get another custom title for 20k posts?

Before the Waning moon! Or during....this is when roots grow!

19,999!

When did you end up doing the repots?

Sorce

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As it applies to Junipers... I have had success repotting in spring, then assuming a strong recovery and plenty of new growth and strength, being able to style the tree later that fall. My concern with a summer repot is losing most, if all the season to do work. After a summer repot, I wouldn't want to touch the tree until spring.

Have you been able to do work on your junipers (wire/style/etc) after your summer repots?

Reaction score
Has any one tested repotting throughout the year? How tested is this spring repotting thing? I know I repotted an elm in September and it didn’t bother at all. But it’s an elm. Maybe we can repot whenever provided that there is good aftercare? I don’t know. Early Spring feels safe cause there isn’t so much need for water transport as in summer. So damaged roots can recover.

It likely depends on where you are for sure. I bet that in my climate I could repot all seasons. No freezes, not too hot. Warm and humid all the time.

Someone should test ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I repot mugo, scots, jbp, jrp in early spring with good results.
Same goes with nearly every other plant, junipers too.

Late spring is killing season for me, if I repot then, a lot of plants die.

As for waking up, I notice that this year everything is confused about breaking dormancy.

I don't believe in using moon cycles. I believe in what I see my plants do. That's what works for me. Freestyle.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When did you end up doing the repots?
3/24, 3/29, 3/30, 4/7, 4/11

The first 3 were during the waning, last 2 during the waxing. So I missed the mark on the last 2 but the first 3 were perfect timing.

Every thing seems to be doing fine but my purple leaf sand cherry got hit by caterpillars the other day... 3 of them managed to devour 75% of the new foliage... I was a little scared for it's health because deer got it twice last year too. But it's already pushed more growth so it should be fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I send myself these pics from her phone, and in between they get sneezed on. Not much is missing.

These are going to be successful summer Repots for 2020. 4 Ulmus. Maple. Juniper. Smoke Bush.

image.jpg

The late defoiliated elms had me worried but not so much anymore.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a dead cork oak, quercus suber.
Seems those don't like summer repotting.

Top Bottom