Summer repotting of tropicals

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Researching through old threads i often see advice to repot tropicals in the summertime. Can anyone elaborate as to why this is best practice?

I have a schefflerra thats really doing well right now and id like to get it into a ceramic bonsai pot instead of the plastic that its in. It stays outside all summer and i bring it in under grow lights in the winter time.

Also, when repotting tropicals is it best to defoliate some? I was thinking about chopping down that tall leader a bit.
IMG_20190617_063611.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes it is best to do work in the summer or late spring. When the trees are in full growth mode. That gives them the best chance to recover. Conditions are optimal for root growth. Healthy roots will equal a healthy canopy. Also yes you can trim now. Use directional pruning if you cut it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And, usually you put it back in full sun right away.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a fellow club member who is expert in Luma apendiculata - a tropical guava relative. He always defoliates when he repots. And he repots this tree in late summer.

On an individual species basis, some will benefit, or even require defoliation at the time of repotting. If you are doing design work, pruning on a ficus, and radical root work, you might actually benefit by complete defoliation all at once. And cut the terminal buds of all branches at the same time. This should stimulate an explosion of back buds if the tree was vigorous before the repotting. If the tree is weak, do not totally defoliate. Do not prune all terminal buds. This is a procedure for healthy trees only

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm glad you asked that question cwa. I was just wondering about repotting my Schefflera.
I guess I'm good to go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm glad you asked that question cwa. I was just wondering about repotting my Schefflera.
I guess I'm good to go.

Haha, schefflerra buddies! I'll likely repot mine in the next werk or two. I picked it up in Hawaii from Fuku bonsai and i want to maintain his "Hawaiian Dragon" styling, so ill be perusing his website for inspirado.

Top Bottom