Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I would like to introduce you to Sumo Cakes.

55 Cakes for $10 www.sumocakes.com

Sumo Cakes
are a balanced slow-release organic bonsai fertilizer product created by using 17 High Quality Ingredients that provide an abundance of natural Vitamins & Minerals to help promote Healthy and Strong growth in our bonsai and other plants. Some of those ingredients include Alfalfa meal (loaded with many different minerals & vitamins), Earthworm castings (packed with minerals that are essential for plant growth including Humic Acid), Kelp meal (100% natural source of over 70 vitamins and minerals).

Included in Sumo Cakes are 39 different natural Microorganisms that aid in fighting off and preventing harmful fungal and bacterial infections and diseases. At the same time it helps create a healthy network of beneficial Mycorrhizae that work in conjunction with our bonsai to help breakdown the nutrients into a form that is easier for the plants to absorb. Included in these 39 microorganisms are Glomus aggregatum (Aids in preventing root rot), Trichoderma harzianum (Helps fight off some soil fungi), Bacillus thuringiensis (Biological pesticide), Paenibacillus polymyxa (Helps produce antibiotics to fight against harmful plant microorganisms)
55 Cakes for $10 www.sumocakes.com

Sumo Cake.jpg Sumo Cake1.jpg Sumo Cake2.jpg Sumo Cake3.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The cakes I make last about 2-3 months as well and I get a lot more than 55 cakes for $10.
I would probably need to spend about $50 to take care of all of my trees for one application.

For $50 I can make enough cakes for 2+ years with the recipe I use (BVF's recipe)

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I am using SUMO cakes and so far I am liking them. They have proven to be nicely balanced, evenly stimulative and include everything I am concerned about. Best part--I just open the bag and put them on. Oh, and my experience with how long applications of any organic fertilizer are effective is relative the how much energy you are needing--they all physically break down slightly different(depending on rain, added binders etc.) but in the end the nutrients intensity, especially the nitrogen, really diminishes after about a a month.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
They look good to me. I started making my own cakes recently. Mixed some water soluble sea-grow, standard balanced organic fertilizer, a little iron based fertilizer, bone meal, and fish emulsion. Basically I just mixed everything I had on hand and turned it into cakes. The cakes have more phosphorous than nitrogen as I don't want long internodes and such.

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
These last about 4-6 weeks depending on as Crust mentioned rain and what not. These are balanced at 4.8 NPK and contain the secondary Macros 7+ micros and 39 different Mycorrhizae that you don't get with your normal cake.

Top Bottom