Sumo JBP

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven’t posted anything about this tree in a while. I took the wire off about a year ago, and let it be. I did decandle it last July, and I just pulled old needles. There are too many summer candles, and I’ll thin to two as I wire it out. It needs a repot this coming spring. I’m hoping I can put it in a significantly smaller pot.

Anyway, here it is before I begin wiring.

97914786-B2ED-4DBF-A03A-3A0AFD0169CB.jpeg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking forward to seeing it wired (hopefully some guy wires as well).

What if anything will you do with the first branch on the right? I think it's coming off the back of the trunk but it looks to come right out of
the inside curve on that side. Lower it maybe? Maybe looks different in person.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking forward to seeing it wired (hopefully some guy wires as well).

What if anything will you do with the first branch on the right? I think it's coming off the back of the trunk but it looks to come right out of
the inside curve on that side. Lower it maybe? Maybe looks different in person.
That’s a problem. It does come off the back. It does look like an “inside the curve” branch.

I’ve been growing out an upper branch to hopefully fill the visual space.

We’ll just have to see what it looks like once it’s wired!

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s a problem. It does come off the back. It does look like an “inside the curve” branch.

I’ve been growing out an upper branch to hopefully fill the visual space.

We’ll just have to see what it looks like once it’s wired!
I wonder if you can't lose the first left branche. You could bring the second Branche down?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is gonna be real badass Adair! It looks like that inside curve branch will be pretty easy to replace. I look forward to seeing it all wired!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good, even unwired. I’ll have to update my thread on this tree’s big brother.?
Yep. Sometimes, all it takes is “time”. I haven’t really “worked” this tree in a couple years. I had worked it, set the wheels in motion, as it were. Then let the tree recover and settle in.

Now it’s time to take it to the next level.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Working my way up the tree:

4EEF4CEE-26ED-48F7-AD1A-DACC2DF1DA65.jpeg

This one is real complicated. It shouldn’t be. But it is. Part of the reason is it has been over potted which has made it too vigorous! Even with decandling every summer, in July, it has grown long summer shoots!

But, I think that’s going to become more manageable. It has been back budding, too. So there are now getting to be more interior shoots, which will consume some of the tree’s resources.

And, I’ll put it in a smaller pot.

Yeah, I know, there’s too much foliage over on the left. I’ll deal with it once I wire everything out.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, i’ve pretty much wired it out. It’s still unbalanced in terms of some areas being too thin and some too dense, but that will settle out.

D4E453B7-7A0F-4D33-9AAE-E3C6FB63C8C3.jpeg

The apex was a challenge, like they always are.

Now that it’s wired out, I will get backbudding, and I can start shortening some of the branches.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, i’ve pretty much wired it out. It’s still unbalanced in terms of some areas being too thin and some too dense, but that will settle out.

View attachment 220629

The apex was a challenge, like they always are.
Love the progress. Powerful trunk and base.
Now that it’s wired out, I will get backbudding, and I can start shortening some of the branches.
Love the progress , powerful trunk and base. Hard to tell from the picture, but i am thinking you may decide to remove a few more needles towards spring. Are you in the practice of doing it in two stages so the tree has more resources for the winter?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the progress , powerful trunk and base. Hard to tell from the picture, but i am thinking you may decide to remove a few more needles towards spring. Are you in the practice of doing it in two stages so the tree has more resources for the winter?
I usually do most of my needle removal in the fall. Maybe some more at repotting.

In this case, there’s excess branches. I really lowered some branches down, and lowered the foliage. Compressed it. So, there’s several branches competing for the same space. When there was more vertical space, height, there was room for all. Now, not so much.

This being it’s first real “styling”, I didn’t really know how it was going to turn out. I think one thing I will try to do is lower the branches on the right some more, as well as the back, which doesn’t really show. This should give them all a bit more space.

And, yes, there are some places I need to thin a bit. Places where there are still more than two twigs resulting from last summer’s decandling. I need to thin down to two. I usually do that prior to wiring, but in some cases, I knew I would be moving the branches quite a bit, sometimes twisting them as I went. So, it would be difficult to predict which two I wanted to keep. Now, I can.

I took the photo pretty much as soon as I finished the apex. It was quite a bit of work to wire it, and I needed to set it aside for a while.

Reaction score
Very nice tree mate, a real prize. We all think too much about the rules and forget that every tree has “faults”

Top Bottom