Sumo Shohin Ficus benjamina 'Kiki'

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello,

Hmmm could've sworn I shared this one with you all, but guess not. This fat guy was given to me from a good friend for a birthday present April 19th. So far it's grown like a weed under my care. I haven't really decided on which branches to keep though, having a difficult time with that. I did trim it up some today though:

But here it is after cutting it back some and removing some branches that grew toward the viewer (btw, that is an aerial root coming at the camera):

006-75.jpg

I had to uproot it from the aquarium :D :
008-68.jpg

The carnage, which I plan on using to cover that gap, once these root:
009-66.jpg

Some leaves started returning back to normal size:
010-49.jpg

And the normal 'Kiki' size:
011-38.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh Jerry, I didn't know you were a member of this site! Interesting. Anyway, I flipped the tree around, like Jerry advised, and made the old back the current front. Here it is after some thinning and the selection of a new leader:

007-71.jpg

008-70.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Update: This thing has grown like a weed over the past few months. I'm considering a big change in it, however. Here it is now:
009-14.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking of doing with it. I would tilt the tree to the left and make a branch on the right the new leader, dramatically increasing taper and movement. Anyone have any input on this?
015-5.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So, here is how the tree would look:

014.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Still haven't made an exact decision, but am thinking about styling it like my attached virted picture below...
virt2.jpg

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
it looks like it has a face on it in that first picture

Top Bottom