Sumo shohin Japanese maple

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg

Here is my short maple. The base is about 4 to 5 inches across. The roots under the soil spread about 7 inches. This tree grows constantly in the hottest weather and the leaves stay perfect. What kind of pot would you use for this tree when it's ready ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I could see this in a lot of different pots. I would do a glazed... maybe a green/turquoise muted coloration, and for some reason, I'm seeing a square pot in my head... probably because it's a strong trunk.

I would have a lot of fun pot shopping for this one.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like this little guy Dave! Very nice. Can you show us pics of how you treated the cut on the back?

I agree with Judy. I see this tree in a square glazed pot as well and not too shallow either since its got such a strong, masculine feel. But I suppose an oval would work as well just depends on what type.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll take a pic tomorrow of the back and show you. I purchased this as a small stump with almost no roots and the top sawed straight off. I carved the back with a die grinder and weasel bit because the wood was as hard as a rock. Accidentally lopped off a branch doing the carving. I have not treated the wound, I imagine it will always be there. I suppose I should seal it with something.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Davetree
I just saved the picture to my fruit phone rotated the picture and uploaded it again. Maybe when you took it, it saved into photos upside down.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'll take a pic tomorrow of the back and show you. I purchased this as a small stump with almost no roots and the top sawed straight off. I carved the back with a die grinder and weasel bit because the wood was as hard as a rock. Accidentally lopped off a branch doing the carving. I have not treated the wound, I imagine it will always be there. I suppose I should seal it with something.

Dave you don't have to necessarily treat the wound. You can have the wood rot for a more naturalistic look. It will do no harm to the tree. The reason I say this it's because a wound that size will most likely never close so perhaps its best to make it look like a natural feature on the tree. However I realize this is totally up to personal taste.

I have a couple of fat, short stumps myself and I'm wondering how much carving I will end up doing.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree and another maple inspired me to buy a makita grinder to carve with. The wood is so hard on this tree that nothing else would really work. The weasel bit cuts like a hot knife through butter.

I know the wound will never heal. Let it rot or use a preservative on it, that is the question.

Top Bottom