Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus

Reaction score
This Salicaria has no leaves, hasn't been repotted in 10 years, and is in 100% organic soil. It is watered daily from an overhead sprinkler for an hour; and here in Florida it has rained everyday for the last month. Idk what your problem is besides stress related issues from being grown in a controlled environment and moving it to an uncontrolled environment. But I can tell you for a fact that 4 days of rain would not rot and kill a Ficus Salicaria; let alone able to push a finger through it. But what do I know about growing tropicals? I was told that defoliating shouldn't be down unless its for a show because you will stress the tree and it will die; but I defoliate at least 2-4 times a year. I thought that if you didn't repot a tree every 2-3 years it would root rot and die? Hmmmm......What do I know?

Man, your lucky !!! Where I am at it has only rained 28 of the past 30 days !!!

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How am I trying to prove you wrong by asking you questions?

If you totally withdrew water from the tree, that may have killed it, but 4 days of rain water certainly would not turn it to mush.
I've never withdrawn water from a defoliated tree, so I don't know if it would turn to mush.

If you can't pinpoint the cause of death in your trees, how are you supposed to learn not to kill them?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How am I trying to prove you wrong by asking you questions?

If you totally withdrew water from the tree, that may have killed it, but 4 days of rain water certainly would not turn it to mush.
I've never withdrawn water from a defoliated tree, so I don't know if it would turn to mush.

If you can't pinpoint the cause of death in your trees, how are you supposed to learn not to kill them?

Whatever dude. Withdrawing water from the tree didn't kill it. It was still bright green every time I checked.

Leave. Me. Alone.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well; as a Ficus grower; I try to only post in the tropical section.
Even in the last thread you posted about your recent purchase, you didn't want my advice, but then followed through with it.
I'm not out to get you.
I'm trying to give you advice on how to treat your ficus.
Understanding the tree is the most important thing you can do.
And identifying the cause of death is more important than being right or wrong because once you do that, you can learn from that mistake.

Like many on this website have said in various threads, when posting to a public forum, you're opening yourself up to criticism and outside opinions.
If you don't want these comments, simply stay to your blog as The Ficus Guy.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Ryan, I'm just curious. Do you grow any other trees aside from tropical species like ficus?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Like Ryan I live in a colder climate I also grow ficus and other Tropicals. Slowly.
I enjoy it even if it takes more time. I'm not in a race. I have tried a few other cold hardy species. Last winter I killed every one of my outside trees.
It was a colder winter here and I over wintered them fine the previous 2 winters. This one killed me. I will try again but I like that I have my indoor trees- no bugs, no squirrels, no birds.
They are safe from everything except me. Lol

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You know, sometimes I read back on my old threads and cringe continuously. It's threads like this where I have seriously considered changing my username and starting over again.

With that in mind, I would like to offer a public apology to sawgrass (who by the way is a PHENOMENAL artist and sells his stuff on the FB auctions), carp, and anyone else I offended in this thread. I was hesitant to even bring it back up, but honestly it should be addressed. I was a young obnoxious kid back when I made this thread and I was completely full of hot air.

A big thank you to everyone who has given me advice over the past almost 10 years, it's been a great ride and I truly consider you all a second internet family. Here's to growth and shameful walks down memory lane.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I couldn’t wait for this tree to bulk up- it would’ve been a great sumo.
We live and learn.

Top Bottom