Sumo Shohin Willow Leaf Ficus

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, all the plants not in bonsai pots at Durastone (including tons of fat-trunked, super-healthy Ficus) are in sort-of shallow, green plastic pots, just like that one.
I was just taking into consideration that hes not down here in zone 9-10 hell I use old styrofoam boxes for some of mine but for the price and that they draw out moisture you really cant beat it for what hes trying to do especially if its not out in full sun on tables with no shade like at Durastone

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's the tree as of today. All branches but the new apex are gone:

010-54.jpg

012-33.jpg

013-23.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's on its way! Keep us posted.

Thanks Steve. I kind of wired the branch back a bit, or I tried my hardest to at least. First time with 2.5 mm wire! So, here it is now (indoors):

011-43.jpg

I just stuck the rest of the wire into the soil to help pull the branch back more:

015-20.jpg

I'm wondering if I should limit the branches up top to focus energy into one branch and let it grow, as of now it is a mess of branches. Your thoughts?

014-21.jpg

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hi ryan,
let it grow unrestrained with no pruning or wiring. every time you mess with your tree it slows it down. patience is part of growing a trunk.;)

eric

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
hi ryan,
let it grow unrestrained with no pruning or wiring. every time you mess with your tree it slows it down. patience is part of growing a trunk.;)

eric

Ah yes, of course ;) I won't cut anything on it, but the wire will stay until I can manage to move that branch upward more :D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Wow, over a year later and just about nothing has changed....:rolleyes:

020.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Repotted this one today in hopes of seeing it really take off. That new leader is just taking forever to gain any girth....

002.JPG
004.jpg

Forgive the poor pictures, the lens kept fogging up due to the high humidity.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Repotted this one today in hopes of seeing it really take off. That new leader is just taking forever to gain any girth....

View attachment 38721
View attachment 38720

Forgive the poor pictures, the lens kept fogging up due to the high humidity.

That's frustrating, in this amount of time I would have expected it to bulk up faster. Maybe try keeping the bottom trimmed back and let top take all the energy, you can chop for bud breaks later.

I'd be curious as to the advice someone with more experience has working with ficus and sacrifice branches.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's frustrating, in this amount of time I would have expected it to bulk up faster. Maybe try keeping the bottom trimmed back and let top take all the energy, you can chop for bud breaks later.

I'd be curious as to the advice someone with more experience has working with ficus and sacrifice branches.

Tell me about it. What I probably should do is remove all the growth that keeps popping up at the back of the tree, where another chop will eventually come, so that the growth is focused on the leader of the tree.
006.jpg

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
If the shoots in back are growing from, or near, the callus around the chop, they are helping the cut to heal over faster. Personally, I would leave 3-5 of them until the cut heals, then remove them. It's true they're not feeding your intended leader.

You may have to wait until the cut heals before you get the tree to bulk up. Meanwhile, feed the livin' heckoutuvit! :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If the shoots in back are growing from, or near, the callus around the chop, they are helping the cut to heal over faster. Personally, I would leave 3-5 of them until the cut heals, then remove them. It's true they're not feeding your intended leader.

You may have to wait until the cut heals before you get the tree to bulk up. Meanwhile, feed the livin' heckoutuvit! :)

Thanks Steve! That area back there is going to be chopped back again anyway though, so I don't really think they're needed to heal. I might as well just remove them.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I totally agree with Steve. Just let it grow unrestricted. More leaves= more stored energy= better growth= faster development.

As for the amount of time for girth growth, that is the drawback of indoor growing. It takes us 4 times longer or even more to achieve something versus growing outdoors.

Hope that helps
Eric

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I totally agree with Steve. Just let it grow unrestricted. More leaves= more stored energy= better growth= faster development.

As for the amount of time for girth growth, that is the drawback of indoor growing. It takes us 4 times longer or even more to achieve something versus growing outdoors.

Hope that helps
Eric

Thanks Eric, that's what I've been doing. I haven't pruned anything. I'm just wondering whether or not I should be getting rid of growth that is in places I don't need it...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ever since I cheated and repotted this guy, he's really exploded with growth:
048.jpg
049.jpg

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought this fat Willow Leaf Ficus off of eBay, my first eBay tree purchase. It was on sale for $55, but I asked $45 and got it, and with shipping it was a total of $60, even shipped with the Mica pot it came in. It has a trunk of well over 2 inches, and stands around 7 inches tall. I am very pleased with it. Personally, I think it is already a specimen and there is not much I really need to do with it to make it look better. Just thought I would share with you all. Comments are appreciated.

001-118.jpg

002-118.jpg

004-101.jpg

005-89.jpg

006-76.jpg

Calling this a specimen seems like trolling.....I hope you weren't being serious.....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Calling this a specimen seems like trolling.....I hope you weren't being serious.....

At the time I thought it was, but my opinion of what is a specimen and what isn't has changed since then.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
At the time I thought it was, but my opinion of what is a specimen and what isn't has changed since then.

Letting you know, I'm not targeting you...I figured as such when I saw the date of the OP....I won't continue any rants on our previous arguments outside of their respective threads, out of respect.....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I swear that the leader has finally started thickening this year :p
048.jpg
049.jpg
050.jpg

Top Bottom