'Sumo Style' Willow Leaf Ficus Progression for the Indoor Growers

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just sharing my 'Sumo style' Willow leaf ficus. Grown indoors exclusively :cool:. I started developing this tree in 2008. I started with the nerabi, which is now as flat as a pancake. Grown most of the branches and I'm now in the process of building the crown. Still need a few years of refinement, but its getting there.

Eric

1-tiny.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it. I don't understand sumo yet or why they are created. Would a tree like this appear in nature? Don't get me wrong please, I just bought one from wigert's. lol. Just trying to instant the theory and how to style.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look at it as a concentration or distillation. It requires all the techniques of bonsai, packed into the smallest possible space, done exactly right...since there's nowhere to hide.

Reaction score
You should try when able, to get this tree outside
as much as possible... Not trying to sound insulting,
for I like what you have done with it, but the amount
of development you have achieved in 5 years...
Could probally have been achieved in half the time
outside where you are at...
Here in Florida... in a growing season.
Keep up the good work !!!
:)

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should try when able, to get this tree outside
as much as possible...

High rise city living restrict me in growing indoors. We also have a very short growing season here in Chicago compared to Florida.

the amount
of development you have achieved in 5 years...
Could probally have been achieved in half the time
outside where you are at...

Could be worst, 5 years indoors....could have been dead! :rolleyes: ;)
Indoor growing is slow when it comes to tree development, but its getting there. Having my trees happy and healthy indoors for years is already an accomplishment in my book. :cool:

Eric

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been real happy w/ my 50w LED floodlight over an aquarium for my willow leaf this winter. Poor guy was almost dead until I put him in this setup last fall. I just repotted him at the arboretum workshop over the weekend because he was so healthy. I'll try and post a pic later. He is not as nice or developed as yours yet, but it feels good to have a direction for him now.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When putting trees of this size outside how would you protect them from squirrels and rodents? I am in iowa. Also apartment living. I keep my outdoor trees at my mothers but they are often dug in by the squirrels. I am nervous to place mame or shohin trees out doors. Maybe with some chicken wire around them. But it wouldn't look lovely.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When putting trees of this size outside how would you protect them from squirrels and rodents?

Hi Amcoffeegirl,

A lot of people have there trees just sitting on benches outside with no problems and some get squirrel/deer and rodents defoliating there trees ;). Since I grow my trees indoors, I have no experience growing outside. But if I have trees outside and some squirrel or rodents killed one of them........I promise you...... There will be blood! :mad: ;)

Eric

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have used rabbit/deer repellant with mixed success. My real issue was rabbits, which generally stay away from ficus. The repellant seems to work however you have to be diligent about reapplying after heavy rains. I have heard moth balls work pretty well too, but they are also good at repelling me because they smell pretty gross and chemical.

Also, I have heard organic fertilizers are more likely to attract rodents.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
When putting trees of this size outside how would you protect them from squirrels and rodents? I am in iowa. Also apartment living. I keep my outdoor trees at my mothers but they are often dug in by the squirrels. I am nervous to place mame or shohin trees out doors. Maybe with some chicken wire around them. But it wouldn't look lovely.

Have dachshunds in your yard. We had roof rats TRY to come in our neighborhood last year. Let's just say we don't have them anymore. ;) The only thing is you have to keep your trees high enough to keep the pups from styling them for you.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you have done a good job with only indoor growing. I know how hard it is, and your results seem pretty good. I really like your root over rock ficus and it makes me want to give it a try sometime.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Tom!

Spring is just around the corner and its the best time to start a ROR project.

Eric

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the help of Rob Addonizio, Found a great pot for this tree.

1-pot.jpg

Thanks Lennard.

Perfect size, shape, and color IMO.

Eric

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will u tell me more about the accent items please? They are lovely

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the photo of march 2013 there is an accent plant sitting on top of a platform of some sort. What is the plant, pot, and platform?

Top Bottom