Sun after repotting.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just repotted my Cotoneaster and Mulberry from nursery type containers to boxes with bonsai soil. Should I leave them out in full sun or put them with my Azalea that just gets morning sun and sun around 7pm for awhile? By the way..Don't laugh at the Mulberry, it's just something I dug out of my yard and am learning on/experimenting with. I dug it up and chopped it maybe a month or so ago. Seems like it came back pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_1003 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1003 (Large).jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1005 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1005 (Large).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1002 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1002 (Large).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 53

quincey

Seed
Reaction score
It's generally best to keep the newly repotted plant out of strong (direct) sun and strong winds since this increases the loss of moisture through wind and sun. This loss of moisture will stress the roots if they are pruned before the repot.

So if you pruned the roots before repotting you should keep the tree out of the sun and in the shade for a time. If you haven't pruned the roots it should be fine.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's generally best to keep the newly repotted plant out of strong (direct) sun and strong winds since this increases the loss of moisture through wind and sun. This loss of moisture will stress the roots if they are pruned before the repot.

So if you pruned the roots before repotting you should keep the tree out of the sun and in the shade for a time. If you haven't pruned the roots it should be fine.

Thanks for the info....I pruned the roots pretty good on the Cotoneaster, which sort of worries me actually. Was the first time I've done it. Not sure if I was a little harsh and over did it in the process. It's only a $7 LOWES tree, but I like it.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The Cotoneaster probably will never appreciate full sun all day long.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Cotoneaster probably will never appreciate full sun all day long.

Hmmm...Everything I've read said "full sun". What do you recommend?

quincey

Seed
Reaction score
Well a cotoneaster is quite forgiving, it can take a beating in root pruning. At least thats my experience. Cotoneasters are used in my country as public filler bushes who tolerate prolonged wet days, it tends to rain a lot in the Netherlands, as well as dry days with full sun. So I wouldn't worry that much about the cotoneaster, but I have no experience with Mulberries so you might move it into a light area out of the full sun 'just in case'.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
As quincey said, best to keep them in partial shade for a few months, and water carefully so the soil doesn't stay soggy.

They will also benefit significantly if you can keep the ambient humidity high around them. Mist them frequently, if they're beside a wall wet the wall down 3-4 times a day, things like that. According to Danny Use, owner of Gingko Bonsai, keeping the humidity up around a newly-repotted tree can be more important than how well it's watered.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Shaded for a couple of weeks move back a little at a time.

If you find a mulberry you like for instance a nice tree in the midle of a branch, cut it off and stick it in the ground, you have to try to keep roots from growing on these, I think 6" stumps can be used for cuttings.

If you plant this in the ground to grow don't do it anywhere near your driveway, if it gets away and you decide to let it go tree, the birds will have such a fruity mess all over your cars and driveway, you will now have to figure out how to kill a mullberry tree. I stripped a 6" band of bark and cambnium, then applied round up, and the SOB still grew berries and leaves. The little bitty stupm (after cutting it down to about 6", has 5' shoots all over it, battery acid around the base ought to finish it off this time.

Top Bottom