Sun location

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So u still have some seeds developping and some cuttings that will hopefully root soon. After my seeds sprout and my cutting roots i will be moving them into sunnier areas. Possibly outside after some time. I was wondering what locations do you pick for your trees outside? Do you go for as much early morning sun as possible and then shade, do you have them in a mid day sunny spot? I have a couppe natives and a couple sub tropical. I know it will depends on what tree but basically just looking for what times of day should i be staying away from direct sunlight? Another question is if i have them in lets say sun from 7:30 am - 4 pm would they be ok as long as i keep up with the watering or is mid day sun just out of the question for bonsai?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A general Wikipedia explanation is a good start for anything. Nursery tags. Usually, once you figure the different actual amounts the mean, "part sun", "6-8 hours sun", "shade loving", etc, for you area, a little further personal observation can dial you straight in.

I have to keep my Buckthorn in the shade, or they wilt. Further south, they'll need that much more shade.

Sometimes you can get so much growth out of too much sun that all the leaves burn up, but you can pull all the leaves hack everything back and start fresh.

Sometimes the tree dies!

Most important to consider is your surroundings.

If your late sun, is only obtainable by setting your trees in front of a brick wall painted black, they'll dry all night.

If your late sun is obtainable by setting your trees in front of a waterfall that gently mists them thru the evening, that's totally different.

If your early morning sun is only obtainable by setting your trees where some alley cat comes and marks every day, that's not a good place.

If something needs to be quarantined, can you provide 2 places with the same sun?

Or are you limited to what you can keep, by the only place the birds don't constantly dump all day?

Sorce

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For my seedlings i was thinking of 3 specific spots. For the first spot its beside my shed and currently in that spot there is around 8 to 9 hours of sun. (Around 7:30 am to 3:30, 4:30 pm) then i was also thinking of right outside my north facing window which gets sun from 3:30 pm to sunset so probably anywhere from 6 to 7 hours of sun in the afternoon/evening. I also have a bright southwest facing window but i would need to keep them indoors if i were to put them facing southwest. And alternativly i have a grow light that i could use.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Position is very species specific but you have not given any details. Position is also very closely tied to location. Really hot, dry areas need more shade than cooler climates or humid areas.
I give my trees as much sun as they can cope with. Shade grows long internodes which will make it more difficult to get good ramification later. How much sun any species can cope with starts with enough water. Less effective water will mean it will need more shad to compensate. I generally encourage beginners to err on the side of more shade. Live leggy trees are far better than dead compact ones.
Seedlings and developing trees grow much better and are healthier with some shade from the hottest sun.

Afternoon sun is the hottest so where shade is necessary it is better to allow morning sun and afternoon shade where necessary and possible.

I keep many of my trees in full sun all day all year. Smaller pots and less sun hardy trees get shade from around mid summer through to mid autumn. Summer temps in my area regularly exceed 40C with very low humidity.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Position is very species specific but you have not given any details. Position is also very closely tied to location. Really hot, dry areas need more shade than cooler climates or humid areas.
I give my trees as much sun as they can cope with. Shade grows long internodes which will make it more difficult to get good ramification later. How much sun any species can cope with starts with enough water. Less effective water will mean it will need more shad to compensate. I generally encourage beginners to err on the side of more shade. Live leggy trees are far better than dead compact ones.
Seedlings and developing trees grow much better and are healthier with some shade from the hottest sun.

Afternoon sun is the hottest so where shade is necessary it is better to allow morning sun and afternoon shade where necessary and possible.

I keep many of my trees in full sun all day all year. Smaller pots and less sun hardy trees get shade from around mid summer through to mid autumn. Summer temps in my area regularly exceed 40C with very low humidity.
Thanks for your reply. Summers here usually get into the low to mid 30 C° range. And im working onna cherry blossom cutting a sycamore cutting (both native to here) as well as a blue jacaranda, crepe myrtle, and lemon seed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cherry will probably require more shade than some. Sycamore and crepe myrtle are pretty tough and could manage with more sun. Citrus can be a pain as potted trees and often just refuse to grow. I would suggest some afternoon shade for a start. I have no experience with Jacaranda.
30C is quite mild compared to what we get in summer so it will be interesting to see whether your trees can manage with more sun in summer than similar species here.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cherry will probably require more shade than some. Sycamore and crepe myrtle are pretty tough and could manage with more sun. Citrus can be a pain as potted trees and often just refuse to grow. I would suggest some afternoon shade for a start. I have no experience with Jacaranda.
30C is quite mild compared to what we get in summer so it will be interesting to see whether your trees can manage with more sun in summer than similar species here.
[/QUO
Thanks for your tips! I will be doing some experimentation this summer it looks like haha

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I sprout as many of my seedlings as possible outdoors, in full sun. I only shade seedlings that are species that must have shade.

Without knowing which species of tree you are growing, it is hard to say how much sun they need.

Reason for full dawn to dusk sun when possible, more sun will give you shorter internodes between leaves, and branches. We are trying to create miniature, or dwarf trees, so short internodes is desirable.

But without knowing which species you have, can't really say how much sun they need.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I sprout as many of my seedlings as possible outdoors, in full sun. I only shade seedlings that are species that must have shade.

Without knowing which species of tree you are growing, it is hard to say how much sun they need.

Reason for full dawn to dusk sun when possible, more sun will give you shorter .
internodes between leaves, and branches. We are trying to create miniature, or dwarf trees, so short internodes is desirable.

But without knowing which species you have, can't really say how much sun they need.
I have a cherry blossom, lemon, jacaranda, crepe myrtle, birch, ginko biloba

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a cherry blossom, lemon, jacaranda, crepe myrtle, birch, ginko biloba

I have no hands on experience with Jacaranda, but the rest all would appreciate full sun, sunrise to sunset would be good in your Canada location. You are in the temperate, northwoods. All of these trees would appreciate full sun.

If the seeds have not sprouted yet, set their pots in full sun now, before they sprout, so right from the time they emerge from their seeds they will have full sun.

If any of these seedlings sprouted in shade, you will need to give them time to adapt. Each week, move them to a brighter location. You can do it in 2 steps. From indoors (all indoors, even full sun indoors, is considered shade) or shade to shade outdoors. Then a week later move to morning sun for a couple hours. Then after a week, or maybe two, they can be moved to full sun.

Top Bottom