Sun shades for trees???

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hope this is the right thread for this but I live in Washington zone 8b and i got a few JPM and Japanese larch trees. Am I going to have to protect them from sun in middle of summer. If so what percentage of UV shade is recommended for each species.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Make shade as light as possible while still maintaining healthy trees.

I know that's not really giving you much to work with but there are so many variables. One area will be hotter and dries than another. Even within Washington there will be differences. One side of a hill will be hotter and drier than the other side. Trees exposed to winds will suffer sunburn more than the same trees in sheltered area. Heavier shade can be used provided the trees get sun for more of the morning so the shape, size and orientation of your shade needs to be considered. Heavier shade may compensate for inadequate watering while an experienced grower will be able to manage with lighter shade.
All that said, most trees will cope with a range of light intensities so exact parameters are not as critical as you may be thinking.

I would start with a lighter shade and see how the trees respond. You should be able to adjust the amount of cover if some change is required.

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Make shade as light as possible while still maintaining healthy trees.

I know that's not really giving you much to work with but there are so many variables. One area will be hotter and dries than another. Even within Washington there will be differences. One side of a hill will be hotter and drier than the other side. Trees exposed to winds will suffer sunburn more than the same trees in sheltered area. Heavier shade can be used provided the trees get sun for more of the morning so the shape, size and orientation of your shade needs to be considered. Heavier shade may compensate for inadequate watering while an experienced grower will be able to manage with lighter shade.
All that said, most trees will cope with a range of light intensities so exact parameters are not as critical as you may be thinking.

I would start with a lighter shade and see how the trees respond. You should be able to adjust the amount of cover if some change is required.
Thank you. We live in a valley with usually lots of wind and bipolar weather so this is really helpful.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Larch, in general are full sun trees. Japanese larch is more or less a middle to higher elevation tree. The issue with sun won't be the UV. The issue will be heat. Climate. Larch need a sharp temperature drop at night. Most nights through the summer should be 15 to 25 degrees F cooler than the daytime high. And ideally should be cooler than 75 F or 24 C. If you can cool them off at night, full sun should not be an issue.

Japanese maple do need some shade

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm in Seattle and have some more delicate acers planted in the ground to thicken, and they have full sun all day. I only pull out the shade cloth (30%) on days when it gets into the mid 80s and they do well with that.

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Larch, in general are full sun trees. Japanese larch is more or less a middle to higher elevation tree. The issue with sun won't be the UV. The issue will be heat. Climate. Larch need a sharp temperature drop at night. Most nights through the summer should be 15 to 25 degrees F cooler than the daytime high. And ideally should be cooler than 75 F or 24 C. If you can cool them off at night, full sun should not be an issue.

Japanese maple do need some shade
Good to know. Only larch trees I’ve really seen was on the east side of the state which have hot summers and harsh winters unlike the west side.

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm in Seattle and have some more delicate acers planted in the ground to thicken, and they have full sun all day. I only pull out the shade cloth (30%) on days when it gets into the mid 80s and they do well with that.
Thanks yeah mine are in big pots I put them pots and all into big bubber maid containers filled with rock and bark to keep the pot they are in cool since I can’t plant them in the ground yet. I got a feeling we’ll have a hot summer and since we’re in between homes where I’m at has not much shade so I have been a bit worried with what’s to come.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks yeah mine are in big pots I put them pots and all into big bubber maid containers filled with rock and bark to keep the pot they are in cool since I can’t plant them in the ground yet. I got a feeling we’ll have a hot summer and since we’re in between homes where I’m at has not much shade so I have been a bit worried with what’s to come.
The worry with sun is the foliage. Within our zone, the roots actually benefit from the heat we have. I would leave the pots out in full sun. All mine are. When it starts getting into the upper 80s think about protecting the foliage on the more delicate maples. The basic green maple and shishigashiras and yatsabusas, among a few others, do actually thrive in a hot (for Seattle) sun. In fact I have seedlings in a green house with a heat mat under the seedling tray. Heat generally helps roots grow more vigorously.

Top Bottom