Sun Shades ?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know its the winter, but I am planning now.

I want to make a sun shade for some plants. I have a roll of berlap that I bought at Lowes this year. It is loose woven. I was hoping I could use this as a cheap sun screen. What you think?

Also is there any place that offers cheaper sun shade ? I found some places that charge over 50 dollars for a 15x15 section.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Depends on materials being shaded, as well as your location, oops S. Pennsylvania. What are you protecting?

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mr. Mcspeed is right. Each project has parameters and requirements. Right now it is shooting in the dark, so to speak. Considering how many folks on here seem to be gifted tinkers perhaps they could provide you with a great solution to your situation.

My shade is on a wooden frame that I can adjust upward on hinges, which is attached to a fence. The cloth itself is from The Home Depot, 6' x 30' and cost about $30. But being in Southern Ca we might just have more options, including cheaper ones. For some reason burlap seems too dense, cheese cloth that is large enough might be just dainty enough.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I need to protect some azela, ginko, and some ficus and brazilian rain. I live on a southern facing hill that gets alot of sun.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Burlap will absorb water making it weigh more when wet. Real shade cloths can be bought in different amounts of shade they provide (50% shade, 40% shade, etc). Look at greenhouse supply outlets - I bought my shade cloth from Charlie's Greenhouse ( http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/ )

I live in Georgia and keep my ficus in full sun but in a location that is blocked by my house in the late afternoon. Ficus like heat and sun - they are tropical plants afterall. Just be sure to move them from indoors to full sun in stages so the leaf will have time to adjust.

Frank

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ginkos are used as street trees around here, I wouldn't think they would need protection. Frank is right re. the ficus, can't see them having a problem in the north, mine get all day sun. Can you put the azaleas on the north side of your living quarters to keep it?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
to save money if I put a section of plywood up that would block the 12-3 sun would that be ok? Sunshade is about 50 bucks plus shipping. I found some 90% UV block at HomeDepot not sure if that would be ok to use to filter the hot afternoon shade. My plants would be sitting out facing the south on a hill side. They get baked pretty good.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I would say 90% is to much--I use SC on sections of my green house--it is rated 50% which I ordered from a online GH supply . I would not waste my time with burlap--to dense.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
thank you to all. I understand not to use burlap. I will invest in some 50% shade cloth.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if you did a slatted wall with 1x, with spaces in between the wood, if you'd accomplish the same thing? Something like a slatted roof, but built as a "fence" This would give you some dappled shade, and would move the shadowing with the sun movement, so you'd get some partial, and some full.... Also would serve as a windblock if you have trouble with that. Just a quick thought.

remraf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
50%shadecloth with grommets every 2 ft or so to a strong frame.you do not want the wind grabbing it or rain or sleet making it drop.Also have used lattice panels zip tied to a frame.

Top Bottom