Sun Shelter for Elms

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
LMK if you want some photos or something.
Good Morning!
So I had one of those sleepless, up all night thinking about how to build the shelter nights.... LOL
Such a mental patient sometimes.
Would love to see pics of yours... Actually, on my way to the lumber yard as I speak!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had many of those nights when I was planning to build my "tree house". It's my winter cold storage area, and my summer heavily protected area. Not one blueprint drawn, it was all in my heado_O lol

Aaron 20160623_074606.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are some photos of how we did it. Four down lines, a pulley for each line, and a bunch of rings to thread each line thru, so the fabric sections are short when pulled up and out of the way. A gas pipe at the bottom for weight. A simple cleat to secure the line to, and some hooks for keeping the fabric still when it's windy. If my description is confusing, let me know.
P1010757.jpgP1010758.jpgP1010760.jpgP1010761.jpgP1010762.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo's. I'm working on one myself, ordered some stuff... My teacher uses 50% shade and has very good results with it. It's not even that hot here in Belgium. We do have some hot moments and growth might stop. I've looked around for 50% shade cloth, but you have to order a roll of 100 meters (109 yards), so it will be 70%, i'll make it retractable too so i can close it as temp reaches above 80 Fahrenheit.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@JudyB and @aml1014
Thanks for taking the time to post your work! Awesome shelters!!!!
So... this isn't my best work... kinda rushed it because we finally had a cloudy day here with highs only in the upper 90's, so figured I'd better dive right into building the shelter. Its still need a few details but its definitely getting there.
Judy... you inspired me to create a sun shade curtain in the front that I can pull back and even remove for the winter. Will work like a shower curtain but all of the hardware will be hidden between the two 2"x4" beams. The top will have the shade fabric laced between the 2"x2"s I think... still playing with it. Going to pick some up tomorrow.
IMG_4779.JPG

Reaction score
Yes, only shading nets 100% the fabric kind, or in the UK and expensive.

Reaction score
For the next time i'll look again, for now it should be ok. I'll make a post of it when ready, not that it will be better than things shown here...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@JudyB and @aml1014
So... this isn't my best work... kinda rushed it because we finally had a cloudy day here with highs only in the upper 90's, so figured I'd better dive right into building the shelter. Its still need a few details but its definitely getting there.
Judy... you inspired me to create a sun shade curtain in the front that I can pull back and even remove for the winter. Will work like a shower curtain but all of the hardware will be hidden between the two 2"x4" beams. The top will have the shade fabric laced between the 2"x2"s I think... still playing with it. Going to pick some up tomorrow.
View attachment 109077

Nice work. I would have put another two feet in height on it at least, though.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@JudyB and @aml1014
View attachment 109077
I really like that, I have a pretty cheap setup holding up my 40ft by 12ft section of shade cloth right now. I'm wanting to build something nice like this once I'm no longer renting and actually own a home.

Aaron

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice work. I would have put another two feet in height on it at least, though.
I agree... I would have loved to make it higher. Its currently 4' tall. My back hurts already just imagining moving my trees and even just watering them. Unfortunately, I live in a community with a Nazi style HOA. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get crap for have the structure built above the masonary wall. MEH.....

I really like that
Thanks Aaron!
40ft by 12ft
LOL thats a huge shelter!!! But I forget... you have.... what? 2.2 million trees at the moment?;)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree... I would have loved to make it higher. Its currently 4' tall. My back hurts already just imagining moving my trees and even just watering them. Unfortunately, I live in a community with a Nazi style HOA. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get crap for have the structure built above the masonary wall. MEH.....

Thanks Aaron!

LOL thats a huge shelter!!! But I forget... you have.... what? 2.2 million trees at the moment?;)
Lmfao that's just my grow area not a structure, and I counted today including the seedlingstatus and cuttings from this year, I'm only at 597 lol 2.2mil someday:p. I will actually be applying for a growers license next year so I can try to start a small tree farm as an extra income.:)

Aaron

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
, I'm only at 597 lol 2.2mil someday
WOW! Couldn't even imagine! I have trouble with my hand full of trees!
I will actually be applying for a growers license next year so I can try to start a small tree farm as an extra income.:)
Good for you! Hope to be buying from you in the future.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well.... Now that the sun shade is built... temps have dropped to the high 80's to low 90's. LOL meh..... oh and it rained today!
Anyhow.... here's the finished product.
Built a removable screen for the top and a rod system for the screen in the front.
Pretty happy with it.
IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

Top Bottom