Sunburn on Elm tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can a Elm suffer from sunburn?
My tree keeps dropping leaves and my only thought is that the sun is causing it.
It's getting about 11 hours of sun.
By the way, it is getting watered properly, it has correct soil. I have 7 trees and have been keeping them for a few years successfully now.
I moved to my current home back in October of last year and in my previous home I didn't have this problem.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not enough information yet. What's the species? How long since the last repotting? If it's got an established root system, have you carefully lifted it out the pot to see if anything untoward is going on beneath? Do you have others of this species nearby that are not showing signs of trouble?

Zach

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Zach.

I repotted in spring. It's a Chinese Elm, no other Elms and roots are in good condition.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think chinese elms would suffer from too much sun in NJ. With all the rain on the east coast the last month or two, mine sometimes drop leaves as a result of fungal issues. A shohin sized cork bark I have is prone to this every spring. I sprayed with Daconil and now it's going gangbusters with growth everywhere and no more leaves are dropping.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to keep mine in what I called "the oven"...

Full afternoon sun on the sill of a brick stairway...

It got real hot and blazing late sun...
It burned up all the time...

So I'd say yes....

But....there is more info needed...

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Sorce.

Did the leaves develope black spots before
Turning yellow?
(NO, IT'S NOT BLACK SPOT DISEASE)
I originally posted on this same forum about my elm turning yellow only on one side.
Now I'm convinced that it's the sun since the side that looses most of its leafs is the side where the sun goes down.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually....the only ones that ever yellowed were the usual first one or two of the year that get shaded.

Mine turned Brown and just ratty.

This isn't in another post?

I remember someone having the same problem...like the pot was getting Too hot on the late sun side...

Sounds rootish.

Sorce

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Are you sure there's no field soil under the root crown? This could be a sign of root rot. But, as the other posters have said, there's not enough information about your tree yet.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Zach.

I repotted in spring. It's a Chinese Elm, no other Elms and roots are in good condition.
Most likely just shock from repotting and getting too much sun (11 hours a day is a lot!). Chinese elms are sometimes sensitive that way. Cut down sun to morning only, and wait a few weeks.

Top Bottom