Sunny Escambron

Reaction score
Purging...Thanks!

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice!
I like the last image the best. Has great movement, interesting hole to look and good balance..

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stacey, wonder if you realize that just about every tree you show pics of has an almost identical picture of the first as the 2nd? Is there a reason?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't owned one so not sure but was offered countless times by my Puerto Rico contact.

I like the base, trunk, & bark but not so much the branch style. It is not bad or wrong...just not my preferred styling. That is the reason I didn't comment.

Of the original pics, I like the 2nd as front, maybe even rotated a bit more clockwise.

Looks like it is very healthy and progressing very well though. :)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Curious question...
What kinda branch style do you see for the tree ???

Honestly, not very different silhouette wise to what you've done but I do not like wired branches "forced" to the silhouette (this is quick and dirty to me). I prefer to build it by clip and grow. I also prefer fanned branches top to bottom for broad leaf. When they droop, they droop (maybe rise up at the tip/new growth) and unlike pine branches that drop, spread then rise.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, I see you are heavily influenced by Eric Wiggert. I see this branch style in lots of his trees.

Me, I appreciate Walter Pall style more. Something I try to emulate but nowhere within far proximity yet.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks.

I do need to learn how to wire better but that doesn't mean I do not wire. I do (a lot more than you see) but prefer guy wiring when possible/needed. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know and aware of all of that. I am not as "newbie" as most think. I guy wire because most of my collected trees are harder than anything I can bend with wires. I also guy wire branches that are in congested area that I cannot access via wiring.

As to "taking my game to the next level" I am not hung on that...but progressing never the less. You have your game plan...I have mine. Wait couple more years and I'll show you my trees. Deal? ;)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One more thing, don't take this the wrong way... You need to seriously learn how towire !!! There is absolutely no substitute to wiring... You will never obtain what youwant through clip and grow technique, just plain and simple... And every time I hearsomeone say I use clip and grow, I think to myself, that because you don't know how to wire !!! Clip and grow on very, very fine foliage branches OK, like within a Padded up Juniper, But everything else needs wire !!!

This sounds absolute and really prescriptive. I've seen many trees built with clip and grow only and I think they turned out well. I just have a problem when someone says if you don't do it this way, then you're not a good practitioner. I don't want you to think I'm seriously offended by your post, but I'm just making an observation.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flower already damned Escambron, whats taking you so long? I have no patience waiting for flower pics to be put up.....:D

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What ???
No comments from anyone on my Jose Escambron ???
I guess you guys don't see much of these...

I read this and posted to help you out. I went out of my way to answer your questions and the reception I received was not as warm as I expected, with lots of assumptions about me & my style, maybe even condescending.

Maybe it is the reason why you have to post this to begin with?

Just something to reflect on. :)

I am out of here.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't owned one so not sure but was offered countless times by my Puerto Rico contact.

I like the base, trunk, & bark but not so much the branch style. It is not bad or wrong...just not my preferred styling. That is the reason I didn't comment.

Of the original pics, I like the 2nd as front, maybe even rotated a bit more clockwise.

Looks like it is very healthy and progressing very well though. :)

I read this and posted to help you out. I went out of my way to answer your questions and the reception I received was not as warm as I expected, with lots of assumptions about me & my style, maybe even condescending.

Maybe it is the reason why you have to post this to begin with?

Just something to reflect on. :)

I am out of here.

Dario you cant criticize someones tree solicited or not and NOT expect a response

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can get offended by my post if you want too...
Everyone else seems to do so. :)

I don't have a problem with someone doing "Clip and Grow"
technique on a tree... and yes I too have seen some very awesome
examples of trees done this way.

But, I have also seen far more trees that suffered from not using
wire mostly because the artist was not willing to learn how to wire,
and wire properly.

Ok, I agree with what you're saying here. I think to be well rounded, people should learn when and how to correctly wire branches. Really, I believe most trees need wire AND clip and grow to look their best. I personally like pruning for movement and using wire to place branches.

I'm still learning to wire - I used to really hate doing it because I really didn't understand the fundamentals. Now I love the feeling of accomplishment when perfectly placing a branch to pull a tree together. The only way to get comfortable doing it is repetition.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario you cant criticize someones tree solicited or not and NOT expect a response

Well if you for some reason end up coming back...
I wrote what I wrote because it is the truth.
Plain and Simple.

You say you don't want things "sugar-coated", then
fine except what I am saying as a friend who believes
that you do have talent, and I am sure will end up having
awesome trees, if you would stop for a moment and figure
out what you are getting so upset about !!!

I am just saying what I have because I too told myself
that I wasn't going to learn how to properly wire... I even
went so far as to try and convince myself that I didn't like
the style trees had that were wire... and then one day I just
woke up and thought how silly I was being for setting up walls
and boundaries for myself, and not allowing every tool to be at
my disposal !!!

Now if you want to disregard my advice and do things your own
way, then fine... really does not effect me or my trees or even my
life in the slightest !!! But, it does effect yours... If you think this is
not so warm, and some how condescending, then fine... feel free to
remove your replies, and I will remove mine and you will not have to
reply to another post of mine.
Does this work for you ??? It still will not change the fact that your trees
will become better, and you will become better if you and anyone else
out there reading this... learn how to properly wire.
:)
I am back.

Factual truth I love & welcome. Wrong assumptions (or fabrications) I hate.

I said I prefer clip and grow...nowhere did I say I don't wire (because I do). They are not exclusive. Teach me that guy wiring is not wiring is laughable. I thought I've shown more knowledge than that.

I specifically said your style is okay, just not my preference but you have to reel me in with this
"Curious question...
What kinda branch style do you see for the tree ???"
...before you explain your methods. You do not need my opinion, it was just a trap. You could have given it right away.

Some lessons learned though...so thank you.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a damn nice looking tree-pot combo my friend ! As I always say when I see something this nice, the only thing that could make that look any better would be if it were setting on my bench... :)

ed

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks lovely in that yellow pot!

Can I ask you a question? Earlier in the post you said you'd be letting branches thicken and I was under the impression that to do so one usually lets the branches grow long for a season or more. This tree seems to be growing well and yet the silhouette has stayed the same.

Are you continuing to prune the tree into shape currently?

I really like this tree. That's why I'm asking you these questions.

Cheers.

B

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Though I'm not very well respected or perceived on this website, I would like to add my two cents; ignoring the amount of arguments these posts create. Strictly on the tree at hand.

The trunk texture and fluted veins are beautiful, the nebari as well.
The problems I have with this tree all result from reverse taper.

I see it right off the bat in the trunk's bend. It is pretty well hidden when the tree is in leaf,
but its plain to see when defoliated. I'm surprised that more attention was payed to your branch placement than this.
I'm kind of shocked I'm the only poster to address it.
I'm not a carver, but I think creating a shari or uro on the right of this bend where the reverse taper is greatest,
would diminish the prevalence of it's existence in this tree.

34eyirr.png

You have a nice beautiful root on the right, which appears to be deadwood.
On the left, the roots are small and nonexistent on the sides and backside.
When I see this, my eyes tell my brain that the weight of the bulge on the left,
is pulling the root out of the ground on the right, and this is why it is so big in comparison to the left.
Meanwhile, removing the dead root (if it is dead and not supporting the health of the tree) would cause the weight to be even more unbalanced.

Each branch is growing from about the same horizontal level on each side; bar branches.
This is again hidden when in leaf, because the tips are at different levels which is ok.
Because the branches are all coming from the same location on the trunk, this is going to cause the reverse taper to grow larger over the years.
This is the problem with bar branches horticulturally.

I believe Poink88 was implying this or trying to get at this when he said the branches looked forced into position.
I agree that they look forced because the angles don't tell the same story.
The left branches shoot starkly downward and out.
In contrast, the right seems to flow much more smoothly down and then back out again.

This has to be done because of the branch placement.
To get your tips at different levels, the angles have to be starkly different.
I attribute that to the branches being at the same levels.

The top is really squirlly looking, but it works when in leaf.
It creates a nice crown and the height is just right.

My last criticism is the pot depth seems to shallow for the weight of the tree.
The width is spot on and the color compliments the bark's natural greenness.
I feel that the pot could be even twice the depth of the one it is in now and look more secure.
The branch over hang on the left vs. the right also adds to my sense of insecurity and unbalance in the pot.
That slightly deeper pot and positioning the tree more to the right may add more of a sense of security.

I'm not an expert, I don't and never have claimed to be.
I'm just another aspiring artist who's a tad bit younger than the crowd.
These are my opinions, and criticism is supposed to be given to learn from, not to put someone else down, which is not at all my intention.
This is a beautiful tree and I would hope that my thoughts would help you bring it to the next level, not belittle you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My eyes dart straight to the base which is exceptional! I think the canopy could be a little larger, and perhaps overall, the tree a bit taller - to match the power of the trunk.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
View attachment 50664View attachment 50662View attachment 50663
Thought I would post up some updated pics to show where
this tree has come in 2 months...

Finally found my yellow pot for it, and managed to re-pot it
today. Yea !!! Can't have a Sunny Jose' Escambron, without a
really Sunny pot !!!

It is growing like crazy and needs a haircut... I think instead
however I will let it grow and next month defoliate it again to
check on the wire that is on the tree, make sure nothing is biting
in to bad, and at that time, will wire all the new branches that
are sprouting out everywhere !!!

Sorry about last pic not being better... it is currently dark outside.

Very nice combo. Good piece of material. Will be stunning in a couple years. One question though. Why is the first branch to the right, I assume it is to be a character branch of sorts, wired to block the view of the trunk? Maybe that is just how the secondary branch grew and you are going to fix it in the future. Thanks

Top Bottom