sunshine on a not so cloudy day

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, this one is a collected landscape Lady Banksia rose. It's 3 years out of the ground. I never expected this thing to develop this fast. It's going to be awhile before I can afford a pot for it, so for now the cement tray is gonna have to do. It stands 30 inches tall, 38 inches wide, with a 12 inch trunk. About 30 years old. It was just a bare stump when collected. Not necessarily a great tree, but I kind of like it. Enjoy!!..........SKDSCN1629.JPG

Reaction score
I like this piece of material a lot, and would not underestimate the tree's worth... What I see that is really nice is that not only does it flower in tight, but you also have growth coming off of the trunk in quite a few locations. Which is often a issue with older material... often one can find an amazing piece of stock to collect, with a really awesome trunk, and then you get like two or three branches coming off of it and it doesn't want to easily back bud on the trunk.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this piece of material a lot, and would not underestimate the tree's worth... What I see that is really nice is that not only does it flower in tight, but you also have growth coming off of the trunk in quite a few locations. Which is often a issue with older material... often one can find an amazing piece of stock to collect, with a really awesome trunk, and then you get like two or three branches coming off of it and it doesn't want to easily back bud on the trunk.
Thank you sir!. This tree is as vigorous of a grower as I've ever seen. It continues to break buds in various places all over. Several times a year, I have to knock off new shoots. The first 2 years in sent out shoots 4 to 5 feet long. I didn't let them get that long last year and won't from here on in. The first 2 years let them elongate to help the tree get established. it's there now. Thanks for commenting!!!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that is huge! Love the trunk!
From that angle, it appears to have 1 trunk. Actually there are 4 all entertwined. In the ground before cut back and digging, that thing was about 12 feet tall with several shoots 20 feet up in a pine. It had a 30 foot diameter[roughly] footprint. Thanks for commenting!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing thing this. Hope you can get it into a pot soon, as I think this is killer.
Thank you Judy. There is only one thing wrong with large trees......pots cost like crazy. But I'm crazy about big trees and so, I'll have to save awhile longer. I have a number of big ones, one can be seen to the side of the Banksia, it's a 4 footer. A collected Phitzer juniper that I've had for 28 years or so. Thanks again!!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree, and nice contrasting purple accent plants ;)
Thanks much for commenting!! Those little purple monsters are the dwarf Japanese alpine violet. Many years ago, one plant of it came home in another nursery plant, now I have hundreds of them. They come up in many pots but can't get the confounded things to grow in the ground. Strange! If they weren't so darned pretty, I'd be tempted to take a flamethrower to them! Not really, but they really like my area. Thanks again!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful specimen! I'd love to find a rose with a decent trunk (this one is probably too large for my aging back) but so far, no luck.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Judy. There is only one thing wrong with large trees......pots cost like crazy. But I'm crazy about big trees and so, I'll have to save awhile longer. I have a number of big ones, one can be seen to the side of the Banksia, it's a 4 footer. A collected Phitzer juniper that I've had for 28 years or so. Thanks again!!
Yeah I feel you, I have 4 really large pots, and they are hard and expensive to find. I do like working with Randy Doughty, bent pine pottery, he's affordable and a makes a great pot. He made the pot that my big trident got moved into this year.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful specimen! I'd love to find a rose with a decent trunk (this one is probably too large for my aging back) but so far, no luck.

Chris[/QUHey thanks Chris, probably for mine as well. I can't help it, I love the large ones. That one as well as many others were all started when I was much younger. If I had known then what I know now, there would be many others...........the 22 year old kid didn't want to waste time with mere seedlings or cuttings!!! lol............thanks again!

Top Bottom