Sunwyrm's "Azalea 2020-2025" Entry

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this might not be the smartest decision I've ever made in bonsai... but I'm going to attempt a mixed azalea forest!

I bought 3 trees just for this contest, and was so torn on which to go with (also had an untouched group I bought from Walmart sitting behind my other azaleas in the garage). I did a coin toss and lost 🙃

First tree I bought, thinking for an informal upright - and now the main trunk in my forest.
rKvATIL.png

Bn4Qlph.jpg

Second tree I bought for a cascade - now I'm thinking I'll still go that route and put it on the end (this is the tree I was going to go with before I thought I'd just incorporate everything into the same planting).
m6vcFo1.jpg

Third, I bought for a small group/forest.
3DQZcXt.png

GuZ4OSJ.png

And in case I need some extra filler trees, my Walmart group, and to make my cascade end's leaves a little less out of place.
FmMSfD6.png

I can't find hardly any azalea forests, and there's likely good reason for that, but here goes nothing.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So this might not be the smartest decision I've ever made in bonsai... but I'm going to attempt a mixed azalea forest!

I bought 3 trees just for this contest, and was so torn on which to go with (also had an untouched group I bought from Walmart sitting behind my other azaleas in the garage). I did a coin toss and lost 🙃

First tree I bought, thinking for an informal upright - and now the main trunk in my forest.
rKvATIL.png

Bn4Qlph.jpg

Second tree I bought for a cascade - now I'm thinking I'll still go that route and put it on the end (this is the tree I was going to go with before I thought I'd just incorporate everything into the same planting).
m6vcFo1.jpg

Third, I bought for a small group/forest.
3DQZcXt.png

GuZ4OSJ.png

And in case I need some extra filler trees, my Walmart group, and to make my cascade end's leaves a little less out of place.
FmMSfD6.png

I can't find hardly any azalea forests, and there's likely good reason for that, but here goes nothing.

Technically the rules were set for one tree

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No fair!!
Now I gotta go buy another 5.
Damnit!!

Right? It kinda feels like I'm cheating, (and hopefully @Pitoon can tell me yay or nay on if it's one trunk or one planting/pot), then again I have a complete lack of faith in my ability to make this look good... but it'll be fun!

Hoping to end up with something like this, but with a few more varied trunks interspersed, maybe a little taller on the main trunk. Forgive my midnight mobile drawing.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Technically the rules were set for one tree

Back to the drawing board! ...or the nursery - I'm kinda sold on this doing this one anyway 😊

No fair!!
Now I gotta go buy another 5.
Damnit!!

Hey man, there aren't enough Azalea forests out there! We need to be encouraging this sort of thing! @Pitoon can we get a new category? 😉

I'm thinking I'll just develop the cascade above for the contest separately. It's blooms might've looked wonky against all the rest.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apparently "Gillie" is still a pretty bright pink, my tag is just very faded

Other angles
v4zmndI.png

V2ZV6IZ.png

MuTB6Mr.png

4dtyxnw.png

Tilted
q6ClQMC.png

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think the forest idea is a good one, but let's stick to the rules so it's fair across the board.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
An Azalea forest won't work because they have the opposite form of good candidates: skinny trunks that ramify to wide tops. We tolerate that in return for the flowers, but they do not have really bonsai-like wood which we wouldn't accept without the flowers. You would need to grow pre-forest individuals of columnar shape with short, flattened branches that can be interleaved with neighbors without the individualism of the branches getting lost in one big merged cluster. Also, the leaf shape/size/thickness will conflict with the thinness of branches. All of these factors will make the overall appearance incongruous. But, go ahead and do the difficult and you'll be famous if you succeed.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could it be they put the wrong tag on the plant? Gillie cultivar is similar to that flower just more pinkish.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
An Azalea forest won't work because they have the opposite form of good candidates: skinny trunks that ramify to wide tops. We tolerate that in return for the flowers, but they do not have really bonsai-like wood which we wouldn't accept without the flowers. You would need to grow pre-forest individuals of columnar shape with short, flattened branches that can be interleaved with neighbors without the individualism of the branches getting lost in one big merged cluster. Also, the leaf shape/size/thickness will conflict with the thinness of branches. All of these factors will make the overall appearance incongruous. But, go ahead and do the difficult and you'll be famous if you succeed.
Thank you! And yeah, there's no way I could do a proper azalea forest, I was just being silly for the contest. There are a few already out there, doubt I'd ever have one nice enough to be famous over. I have a group I repotted from above that I might make an attempt to keep together, but it put on such a show this year that it might just go back to the garden. We'll see.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could it be they put the wrong tag on the plant? Gillie cultivar is similar to that flower just more pinkish.

Entirely possible, it was by itself in the clearance section. Also looks like the first flower was just very red! There's more pinkish-salmon throughout now, with still quite a bit of reds.. who knows

taqbaV9.png

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nah, that's 'Robin Hill Gillie'. The tag is correct, but the picture on the tag isn't (or faded).

Donno about azalea as a forest. Can't recall seeing a picture of that again, but I can check my books. Yes, azaleas do better in flower than without. But there are prently of azalea bonsai that make great bonsai all year round. Not from this kind of material in 5 years, that's for sure. But yeah, they are bushy plants. But you can still do a group planting, of course. Will it literally remind people of a miniature forest? Unlikely, but who gives?

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice, ty! Looks incredibly faded to me, but it's getting tossed as soon as it's repotted here soon.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any updates? Did you decide on which one?

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Top Bottom