Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's my Christmasy haul from various places

Norway pine group, as is customary
7KwIrB1.png

Little little Christmas cedar for the heck of it
NgwRvMW.png

HAD to get this juniper out of the pot and glued rocks. It was half dead and I didn't think to take before pics before ripping it out and throwing gravel all over my kitchen :rolleyes: @Eckhoffw's thread has progression shots of the same little pot and rocks.
tdfzaI1.png

And a couple last minute Deodar Cedars for a serious entry
UhrLiuQ.png

Might even throw my unworked alberta spruce in.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just so I can sneak it into the contest before the deadline, here's my unworked alberta:

2j4vWbc.png

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Post Christmas update!

My Norfolk Island Pine forest in all it's glory
WBUlHAZ.png

Aaaaaand it's gone
UR2jhIT.png

I cut it back after it died. I'm glad this prickly bastard is gone.
Cypress and junipers were both crunchy toast fairly soon after I bought them. Deodar Cedars are doing great after a gentle repot into grow bags earlier last year, and I'll be working them again this year.

Alberta has had some work done last year, going slow on it since I'm undecided on the top still. Do I pull it down or whip it back up? Decisions... Tho I'm definitely leaning towards dropping it down and making a new canopy.

7lbX7MC.png

And not a part of the contest, but my poinsettia surprised me on how small the leaves reduced. Looking festive
oIPwBaT.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Post Christmas update!

My Norfolk Island Pine forest in all it's glory
WBUlHAZ.png

Aaaaaand it's gone
UR2jhIT.png

I cut it back after it died. I'm glad this prickly bastard is gone.
Cypress and junipers were both crunchy toast fairly soon after I bought them. Deodar Cedars are doing great after a gentle repot into grow bags earlier last year, and I'll be working them again this year.

Alberta has had some work done last year, going slow on it since I'm undecided on the top still. Do I pull it down or whip it back up? Decisions... Tho I'm definitely leaning towards dropping it down and making a new canopy.

7lbX7MC.png

And not a part of the contest, but my poinsettia surprised me on how small the leaves reduced. Looking festive
oIPwBaT.png
What happened to the Norfolk Pine Forest? I've had one in my office at work, I paid $1 for a few years back. I throw some water on it once a week and mostly ignore it.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lack of water over Christmas? Stress from repotting? I'm not sure really. The poinsettia got the same amount of water, and I didn't remove hardly any roots.

I can't even tell you really why I hate it, I moved it all around all summer, had to pick it up all the time from it falling over. Every time a branch would die I'd be attacked trying to remove it, I've had less injuries repotting cacti. It was just such an irritating plant all the time :(

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another one bites the dust & update!

One of the Cypress died for various reasons, all of which my fault but hey the other one is hanging in there.
1625682416312.png

Alberta is lovely and shaping up to be one of my favorite trees
1625682389172.png

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's official, all of my trees from this contest are toast. All my spruce have historically suffered and die in Jan/Feb and my Alberta spruce was my last remaining tree in this thread. Obv wasn't great but I really enjoyed it - thanks for running these contests, I learn a lot!

from last winter:

1676576922342.png
I thought for sure I had more pictures of when I did finer detail wiring, and all the lovely growth it had last summer. Biggest lesson is to take more pictures!

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Way too much pruning, they dont like very agressive pruning as most conifers, you left the trunks almost bare so they were going to die no matter what
Oh the Norfolk? Bad example pic, I had cut all of the dead branches off before taking a picture. The pic above is all that I had pruned, though if that's what you're referring to then I'm sure that was the cause, but if I remember correctly a lot of it was dead branch removal.

F*** those trees tho. Picking needles out of my feet for what felt like forever. I'll take working with barberry thorns any day

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are coming closer to the end of the Little Christmas Tree contest. Final photos should be posted in your individual threads, and will be voted on by the general membership starting on April 30.

Time to start thinking about your repotting, final design, wiring, pruning and generally getting the trees in shape for the contest!

Top Bottom