Super excited about the grow lite cart I purchased...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've wintered my bougainvillea two winters without grow lights...but notice larger leaves and longer internodes during winter growth. Hoping the grow lights will keep them more happy.

Much nicer than the one I was looking at...my husband took one look at the one I originally planned on buying...and told me to keep looking. He wanted me to get something a bit nicer for the tropicals. LOVE THAT MAN!!!
image.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Interesting. Do you know what type of fluorescent the fixtures use?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oooo T12's. Very old technology. Make sure you keep the plants very close to the lights.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oooo T12's. Very old technology. Make sure you keep the plants very close to the lights.

Thanks for the heads up...will do. I loved the overall style of the cart. As stated before...my bougainvillea have done two winters out there...but, even old technology is better than none. The style won me over. Still looks nice if company are visiting.

Still very pleased...the reviews also were extremely well written. And it's a very sturdy system...made in the good USA.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Darlene. If you want shorter internodes, swap out the wide spectrum bulbs for a bluer light. The bluer the light, the shorter the nodes. Any red light will lengthen the nodes.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Darlene. If you want shorter internodes, swap out the wide spectrum bulbs for a bluer light. The bluer the light, the shorter the nodes. Any red light will lengthen the nodes.
Good to know Dave! Thanks...I doubt I will look into anything until I get my feet wet with this one the first year. But, I'll add that info to my bonsai notes on it. And make changes next winter if need be.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And another California echo.....
Red light might also make it flower.

Told you all Redwood Ryan is a crusty vet!

I reckon it will be at least waaaaaaaaaay better than last year!

I'd love to meet your husband!
Side from Mrs. Smoke, he's one of the most righteous spouses here!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And another California echo.....
Red light might also make it flower.

Told you all Redwood Ryan is a crusty vet!

I reckon it will be at least waaaaaaaaaay better than last year!

I'd love to meet your husband!
Side from Mrs. Smoke, he's one of the most righteous spouses here!

Sorce

He's a keeper, that's for sure.
My main concern...is keeping the internodes and leaves the appropriate size they tend to be when kept outdoors. Didn't realize a regular old grow bulb might not do. But, I'm curious as to what it will produce...will I still end up with the same longer indoor internodes...so I'll experiment this winter. Worse case...I end up removing all winter growth come spring.
Red light makes flowers...blue for shorter internodes...what exactly am I in for...using a T12? It mentioned in a greenhouse setting or near windows. And since it was going into the sunroom...exposed to many windows. I thought...BINGO! (but in the back of my mind...I loved the set up...figured the bulbs can be changed out if necessary)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's a keeper, that's for sure.
My main concern...is keeping the internodes and leaves the appropriate size they tend to be when kept outdoors. Didn't realize a regular old grow bulb might not do. But, I'm curious as to what it will produce...will I still end up with the same longer indoor internodes...so I'll experiment this winter. Worse case...I end up removing all winter growth come spring.
Red light makes flowers...blue for shorter internodes...what exactly am I in for...using a T12? It mentioned in a greenhouse setting or near windows. And since it was going into the sunroom...exposed to many windows. I thought...BINGO! (but in the back of my mind...I loved the set up...figured the bulbs can be changed out if necessary)

I don't think you'll have a problem.

How long will you keep them on for?

I do 16, I think Leo does 18.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think you'll have a problem.

How long will you keep them on for?

I do 16, I think Leo does 18.

Sorce
Good to know...thanks!
As to length of time, I'm not sure...basically bougainvillea bonsai since the Serissa needs a cooler environment I am hearing, though it will most likely start out either in the greenhouse or sunroom until winter is actually upon us...Still undecided on that. The Serissa will be placed in the John Deere garage connected to our home under the desktop light that has a seasons setting and built in timer...I guess I do need to figure that hour thing for the bougainvillea. I also need to figure out a timer and purchase one. One that won't reset when the power goes out.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool - Those lights are full spectrum and probably throw a little over 1000 lumens at a low heat rate.

I also think it's a neat little thing but to follow up on what I posted in th other thread, 1000 lumens isn't very bright. By way of comparison I have a 400 w hps lamp (I haven't used it in years) it makes about 50000 lumens. Does produce some heat though. And it can attract attention. More than one neighbor noticed the warm orange glow from my spare bedroom. Mine was never used for illegal purpose. Lol.

Id be willing to sell it if anyone is interested. It's also good for seasonal affective disorder. And your Bougainvillea Will grow like Jacks magic beanstlk. Lol.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also think it's a neat little thing but to follow up on what I posted in th other thread, 1000 lumens isn't very bright. By way of comparison I have a 400 w hps lamp (I haven't used it in years) it makes about 50000 lumens. Does produce some heat though. And it can attract attention. More than one neighbor noticed the warm orange glow from my spare bedroom. Mine was never used for illegal purpose. Lol.

Id be willing to sell it if anyone is interested. It's also good for seasonal affective disorder. And your Bougainvillea Will grow like Jacks magic beanstlk. Lol.

Thanks...but, I'm not interested at this time to tweak a system I've yet to give a chance. Since my sunroom sounds perfect for this system. The bulb info states:

Sylvania® Gro-Lux® Wide Spectrum Fluorescent Tubes were developed for accelerating growth in greenhouse grown crops. They are best used in situations where plants receive some sunlight, as in a greenhouse or near a window. The additional added energy in the far-red region of this lamp's color spectrum promotes the photosynthetic performance. The lamp radiates energy in the far-red (700-800nm), red (600-700nm) and blue (400-500nm) regions of the spectrum and produces results similar to the combined use of cool white fluorescent and incandescent lamps. With this single fluorescent source, the need for the color of incandescent lamps is eliminated, temperatures can be better controlled and operating costs are reduced. Color temperature measures 3400 degrees Kelvin, Color Renderng Index (CRI) of 89.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You may want to switch those bulbs out then. They are made for flowering plants, hence the 3400K range. You want to shoot for 6500K.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used the T-12s for my cuttings for years and I agree, keep them right on the plants, even if they do produce 1700 lumens, still not much.
I keep my tropicals under two 400 watt Hortilux, one is a MVH 400 and the other a HPS 400 to get blue and red spectrum. I have noticed that blooming plants do better under the HPS on a 12-12 cycle.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You may want to switch those bulbs out then. They are made for flowering plants, hence the 3400K range. You want to shoot for 6500K.

But, bougainvillea are flowering plants... o_O...I mean they bloom.

I will see what this winter brings with them...I've done two winters without any additional light source. I will then research what is here if I'm not satisfied. And tweak it with new bulbs the following winter. I already have figured out...lighting seems to be rocket science, to a degree. Very confusing...fingers crossed I'm satisfied with what occurs from these lights. Which is just keeping the internodes around the same as when outdoors.

Fast growing plants under a light...doesn't that weaken it to some degree? I just wish to try and recreate a normal light source, so it responds as it does outdoors...I'm not looking for fast mass produced trees. I really am afraid there would be downfalls to such things. Slow and steady wins a race. (No offense to anyone...just my thought process)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ah right, you've got Bougies...

Which is just keeping the internodes around the same as when outdoors.

That is very unlikely to happen under such weak lighting. Since T12's are such old technology, they don't give off nearly as much light as newer lights, so you'll probably get large leaves and long internodes.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ah right, you've got Bougies...

That is very unlikely to happen under such weak lighting. Since T12's are such old technology, they don't give off nearly as much light as newer lights, so you'll probably get large leaves and long internodes.

Thanks Ryan...I'm going in with that understanding. But, from the research of the bulb...at this point. I still want to see if it offers any change what so ever.

I've looked at a few sites that mention if you put bougainvillea under more intense lights...you need to offer also black cloth for periods of the day as well. I'm not sure I wish to go to the point I need to cover my trees with a black cloth for a portion of the day. Something about they bloom with shortened light hours...and offering such strong light you must cover the plant from all light at periods during the day. That seems extreme...and something I need to look into more. At this point...I will use what I have. At least, its got a nice shelf with additional light it didn't in the past. But...I'm not sure I wish to go to the extreme of covering with a black cloth. I may need to see a happy middle ground. Different bulbs but not to the point I need to offer a black cloth for periods of the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom