Super new to Bonsai

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am very new to this and don't want to kill ANYTHING!! I purchased this Bullata Japanese Spiraea and within a week it's had leaves have all turned brown. Don't really know why? Online is no help other than saying don't over or under water this plant. Wife wants me just to buy a new one but I don't wanna give up on this plant. I did cut it back cause the interweb said it was basically a shrub and will grow back but...
So basically I'm asking....is it dead? And what did I do wrong?
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20210611_202223.jpg
    20210611_202223.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210626_070858.jpg
    20210626_070858.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 35

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hang in there -- sooner or later, someone who knows the species will look in.

Meanwhile, welcome!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea I am not familiar with this species so I can't really help much.

Some questions that might help are: where was this tree kept? Did you keep this tree inside? How often did you water it? What kind of soil is it in?

Please put your location on your profile. A lot of bonsai information is location dependant and it would be nice if we don't have to continually ask.

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you Tinyart
And paradox
I live in Chicago
Plants kept on patio outside
Bought a small bag of Bonsai soil from local nursery...not much by me that has ANYTHING Bonsai
Typically submerge every Sunday in sink and spritz with water as needed

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Tinyart
And paradox
I live in Chicago
Plants kept on patio outside
Bought a small bag of Bonsai soil from local nursery...not much by me that has ANYTHING Bonsai
Typically submerge every Sunday in sink and spritz with water as needed

Please put your location on your profile so it will show under your name. We will never remember where you are amongst the 100s of other members.

Did you repot the tree yourself into the new bonsai soil?

It's OK if you don't have a lot locally, lots can be bought online

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sometimes sensitive plants will drop leaves out of shock and grow new ones in a week or three. Cutting a tree back hard while it is in a weakened state is definitely something to avoid in the future though. If it was strong before the leaves fell off it may come back, IF the problem was just relocation shock. I don't buy trees online during the active growth season for that reason. Just give it time and keep it watered

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please put your location on your profile so it will show under your name. We will never remember where you are amongst the 100s of other members.

Did you repot the tree yourself into the new bonsai soil?

It's OK if you don't have a lot locally, lots can be bought online
I'm not very tech savvy but I think I put location in profile?!? Please let me know
Yes I transplanted plant into pot it is in now.
Problem with buying online is...I don't know what I'm doing and like to ask questions plus I like to see what I'm getting.

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sometimes sensitive plants will drop leaves out of shock and grow new ones in a week or three. Cutting a tree back hard while it is in a weakened state is definitely something to avoid in the future though. If it was strong before the leaves fell off it may come back, IF the problem was just relocation shock. I don't buy trees online during the active growth season for that reason. Just give it time and keep it watered
Seemed to be a strong tree?!? Not sure...looked healthy and all.
I thought maybe I over watered it which made it dry up? Is that possible? That's what a buddy at work told me...not sure...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not very tech savvy but I think I put location in profile?!? Please let me know
Yes I transplanted plant into pot it is in now.
Problem with buying online is...I don't know what I'm doing and like to ask questions plus I like to see what I'm getting.

Not seeing it when I click on your name. There is a spot for it. I'm on my phone right now so can't give you better instructions. Will try to do that later if someone else doesn't point it out first.

I totally understand the wanting to see things and feeling our of your element with bonsai.

There is lots and lots and lot's (did I say lots?) to learn in bonsai but that's one of the great things about it! You'll get there.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

If this tree went from inside for a long time to direct sun on the patio and watered once a week, it's dead. Maybe I'm not reading things right. A plant has to be acclimated to big changes going in or out in steps of increasing or decreasing light, -maybe 3 or 4 levels over a couple weeks: out to shade, dappled shade, half day mornings, full sun, and reverse going back into relative darkness inside a house. Inside the house water every 3 to 6 or 7 days depending upon species, and outdoors water every day it doesn't rain. Better luck next time. A fig would be a better choice for a newbee.

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

If this tree went from inside for a long time to direct sun on the patio and watered once a week, it's dead. Maybe I'm not reading things right. A plant has to be acclimated to big changes going in or out in steps of increasing or decreasing light, -maybe 3 or 4 levels over a couple weeks: out to shade, dappled shade, half day mornings, full sun, and reverse going back into relative darkness inside a house. Inside the house water every 3 to 6 or 7 days depending upon species, and outdoors water every day it doesn't rain. Better luck next time. A fig would be a better choice for a newbee.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I got the location in...again please let me know. A fig it is!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never buy anything that has "Japanese" in the plant name and is in a cheap ass Chinese Pot.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post #23 will give some different forms and leafs to choose from, and there are others, too.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never buy anything that has "Japanese" in the plant name and is in a cheap ass Chinese Pot.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

That would leave out Japanese black and Japanese white pines which would be a shame.
Pots can be changed.
Japanese white pine would do well in his area.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
over watering a tree until the leaves fall off usually takes some time. They will yellow out and get limp. If that was what happened the root system may be rotten mush by now.

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

<<<<< It will show here.

Also I bought it at a greenhouse nursery so isn't that considered outside? Sorry for my ignorance...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also I bought it at a greenhouse nursery so isn't that considered outside? Sorry for my ignorance...

If it was inside a greenhouse, then it was inside.
Greenhouses provide protection from weather

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought it at a greenhouse nursery so isn't that considered outside
Welcome to bonsai. Not considered outside. Greenhouses are controlled environments. They control for temperature/humidity/water. Very few bonsai people have their very first bonsai tree I would imagine. We tend to kill a few before getting a handle on things.

Top Bottom