Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look at what I found in a planter. Those are centimeters, not inches. Anyone guess the cultivar name? Cause I have no idea. The plant was about 1.4 meters tall, with very low graft union if any. Trunk was maybe 7cm diameter, from memory.

37.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably just dry / poor soil.
I have bought maples here with 1-2cm leaves. Untill I plant them in substrate and start watering & fertilizing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are a few named varieties that have smaller leaves. The ones I have here are green leaf types though. I don't know the small red leaf ones.
It is certainly possible that conditions have reduced the leaf size somewhat. Time will tell.
Most small leaf JM are also small trees and usually slow growing or dwarf which can make them frustrating to develop.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a few named varieties that have smaller leaves. The ones I have here are green leaf types though. I don't know the small red leaf ones.
It is certainly possible that conditions have reduced the leaf size somewhat. Time will tell.
Most small leaf JM are also small trees and usually slow growing or dwarf which can make them frustrating to develop.
I might even prefer if the leaves were green, gives more natural and varied look throughout the seasons. Do you know any cultivar names?
Since the leaves were roughly this size all over the plant and look mature and there was no obvious drought or malnutrition symptoms, I do not expect they would ever reach 4cm in length. It seems worth checking out, either way.
The parent plant was much bigger and thicker than the bonsai Id make with this variety, so I think development could work out alright.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Idk, kiyohime seems to have leaves that get 2 or 3 times as long as what I took the photo of

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Maples for Gardens by CJ & DM van Gelderen list a number of dwarf shrub JM with purple or rusty brown leaves:
Akita yatsubusa; Ara tama; Beni fushugi; Bene hime; Beni Komachi; Brandt's dwarf; Garyu; Pixie; Red filigree lace; Ruby stars; Skeeter's broom.
There have probably been more introductions since that list was compiled. There's another list of green leaf dwarf JM.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I will try to find out who owns the planter and where they got the plant

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know this thread?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read through it, they recommend the common dwarf JM like kotohime, kiyohime, Benihime etc. Its always hard to tell how big those leaves really are unless seen in person, but I wager the one I saw is still smaller.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Small leaves typically mean slow growth and congested nodes, a couple of challenges when developing fine bonsai.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small leaves typically mean slow growth and congested nodes, a couple of challenges when developing fine bonsai.
As I said, its not a small plant. The trunks are quite thick. Didnt look too congested either, but who knows what pruning may have been done.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
With the thousands of named Japanese maple cultivars it is impossible to identify a cultivar once the provenance is lost. The only way you will know for certain what cultivar it is, to ask the owner of the tree if they know, or saved the name tag.

That said, my favorite small red leaf JM cultivar is 'Hime Shojo'. Had one for a brief period of time. I will be getting another at some point.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Check little princess.

Good advice. I happened to take this photo this morning :

acerp-mapi01_200803a.jpg

But there are many other cultivars with very small leaves, particularly those in the "Hime" family, ('Little Princess' is in Japan 'Mapi-no-machi-Hime') like 'Kyohime', and... others.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well you can start your search with red-leafed cultivars, because that's what it is - and you'll eliminate about 90% of the other JM out there :) Then you can skip the lace-leafed cultivars like crimson queen and red dragon, and you'll be narrowing things down nicely.

You saw the entire tree, and all the leaves were that size? It reminds me a lot of a bloodgood... which can push very small leaves at first, though they will eventually grow/expand larger. If it was just the tip of a branch and got knocked off before it matured, the leaves could be artificially small. Likewise if it had been defoliated.

japanese-maple-bloodgood-wet-leaves.jpg

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
bloodgood

'Bloodgood' has the typical shape of Acer palmatum var. amoenum.

The leaves that Rivian posted look more like one from the matsumurae group, like 'Trompenburg' or 'Peve starfish'.

Here are pictures of a 'Starfish' I bought last June. The first one is the older leaves, when I bought it. It was obviously sprayed with something like sulfur :

acerp-starfish_200803b.jpg

The top, with the new shoot (full sun from 9AM to 15PM) :

acerp-starfish_200803a.jpg

I also have a 'Trompenburg', very similar. I keep this one in almost total shade.

April 2020 :

acerp-tromp_200405a.jpg

Today. In the shade, the red colour doesn't hold as long as in full sun and the lobes are not so curved inside :

acerp-tromp_200803a.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will try to take more pictures of the tree tomorrow morning. Its in a public spot so dont want to mess with it too much during the day when theres people around it.

Top Bottom