Super Sumo Willow Leaf Ficus

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll be honest here folks. I've been this way for years, I suck at styling. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to branches, and since this one is just a literal stump I'm really at a loss for where I'll take it in terms of styling.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
since this one is just a literal stump I'm really at a loss for where I'll take it in terms of styling.

To be honest, I am right there with you. Still trying to figure it out. Well, I guess if it is do or do not, then I do not get it.

But I can tell you what I remember seeing that I like with trunks like this. A squat, rounded triangle canopy, asymmetric with significant separation between the first branch, relatively low on one side, and the second branch. My sumo willow leaf is teaching me, and with patient pruning those primary branches are starting to look like something. It just...gets there over time all on its own.

D

Deleted member 24479

What an absolute mammoth! Great stuff.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll be honest here folks. I've been this way for years, I suck at styling. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to branches, and since this one is just a literal stump I'm really at a loss for where I'll take it in terms of styling.
Study Sumo images. Which ones really appeal to you with a similar trunk. Then apply what you like to your tree. Don't sweat it. Let it just whisper to you...as you grasp what appeals to you while doing your homework.

Top Bottom