Super tangled Bradford pear clump

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_20200411_173012.jpg IMG_20200411_173033.jpg
This clump of root suckers was growing around the base of a landscape tree and had been covered by plastic and mulch for at least 1 year, which has led to the growth of very curvy and tangled shoots. While sawing off this clump and other similar growth from the soil around the landscape tree, I noticed that after this was cut off it still had some roots and might be interesting. Knowing the invasive and hardy nature of Callery/Bradford pear, I decided to pot this up and see if it might survive. I dusted the entire base with rooting hormone and secured it using screws and wire.
IMG_20200411_180032.jpg IMG_20200411_180026.jpg IMG_20200411_193052.jpg
What can I do to improve the development of roots and success of this?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's an upside-down trunk, right?
CW

Nope, but it does look a bit like it is! How it's shown here is precisely how it was growing in the ground. In this crude drawing, the black line is the soil level, and I cut the bottom of this thing on the red line. The top twisted branches are suckers (not roots). They had been repeatedly pruned for years, and spent the last year under plastic and mulch trying to grow.
bradford_clump.png

Last edited:

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those few wisps of root might be enough to sustain it while it sends out more. Will be interesting to see what happens. My gut tells me it won't work.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The prospects for this (that I can imagine) are spectacular. Right now I am bothered by how flat the top is = that would be my immediate development focus (but, gotta get it growing vigorously first, of course). 🤔 :cool:

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whaaaat! So cool!
Keep that thing alive!
I have been keeping the soil moist and it currently gets maybe 2 hours of early morning sun just after dawn, then bright indirect light. Doing the 2-step into the garage any nights that it's going below 40f.

Fingers crossed.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is completely useless, and off topic, but as everyone in my neighborhood has said about the bradford pears in my yard (all but one has fallen down), "Is that a Bradford Pear? It is? Well that thing's gonna fall down any day now. You know they fall down when they get that tall."

Alternately:

"Is that a Bradford Pear? You know all mine have already fallen down. I bet that one won't make it much longer."

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is completely useless, and off topic, but as everyone in my neighborhood has said about the bradford pears in my yard (all but one has fallen down), "Is that a Bradford Pear? It is? Well that thing's gonna fall down any day now. You know they fall down when they get that tall."

Alternately:

"Is that a Bradford Pear? You know all mine have already fallen down. I bet that one won't make it much longer."
As landscape trees, they've got multiple problems: invasive, suckers (see this thread), weak and narrow branch crotches that break in storms, under ice or snow loads, or finally, when the tree just grows too large. You'll rarely see one older than 30 years that isn't gangly or ready to break.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Alternately:

Sad but true. We used to have them lining the driveway and a big one in the yard. Lost all of them to wind/ice storms. The last two behind our house, my husband had cut down so they wouldn't fall on the house when they bit it.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any updates to this tree?

I'm not going to call it dead yet, but it's on the deathbed. It kept trying to push leaves until maybe July, but they only ever reached thumbnail size (at best) and there were maybe a dozen+ *total*. Then, they would turn black from the tips backward until they were completely black and dead. Assuming a fungus, I treated this with copper fungicide every 10-14 days throughout the late spring and summer. It presently has zero leaves, but still passes the "scratch test" where there's green/living tissue underneath. I've learned to not throw anything out, so I'll protect it from the worst of the cold this winter and see what happens next year. I'm giving this a near-zero percent chance, but it was a lark to begin with. A little disappointing though, because this was pretty unique.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's still alive and has pushed these tiny leaves within the last 2-3 weeks.
PXL_20210619_180638367.jpg
This got a good spray of Bayer 3-in-1 after the photo was taken to take care of the mealybug(s). Last year the tiny leaves turned black pretty quickly due to fire (or some other) blight, so I'm taking care to keep leaves dry and spraying with copper sulfate occasionally. Other than the morning sun, bright shade, and careful watering, is there much else I can do to get this in a more energy-positive state? This had almost zero roots when collected, so I suppose it's fighting the chicken-and-egg problem of too few roots and too little leaf surface area to gain energy to produce more.

Top Bottom