Superfly Bonsai fertilizer

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At the Superfly Bonsai booth at the National one item that got my attention was their high nitrogen 12-4-5 PUSH fertilizer product. It's meant to push the growth of foliage, trunks, and branches for trees in development. Has anybody tried this product and what were your results?

Thanks.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gary,

combined with our compost of Leucaena, and 1/3 Miracle Gro lawn fertiliser
we would get a similar NPK plus micro nutrients.
Been growing like that for years.
Good Day
Anthony

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If I'm not using cow dung, I mix my own fertilizer with somewhat the same ratios of N, P and K as that product.
But, I pay around 5 bucks per nutrient bucket (2kg's) which will last a year or 10. Most 'specialized' products are built on the cannabis-principle that goes a little like this: As soon as you specify the type of gardening/plant on the label, you can increase the price with 3000%.
With me being a Dutch cheapskate, that just doesn't work: I'm not paying 30 bucks for something I can make for 3 cents and 5 minutes of my time.

There's a general rule that plants push more growth if nitrogen is dosed relatively higher. Flowers can be fed with relatively higher P and K and a bit lower N, however, that is very much disputed by a lot of people. It's true that in agriculture, plants take up higher P and K during seed formation. But that's usually not what we're after in bonsai.
It doesn't matter much in our circumstances. But I want people to see that they're being scammed if they buy high priced, branded and 'specialized' nutrients.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At the Superfly Bonsai booth at the National one item that got my attention was their high nitrogen 12-4-5 PUSH fertilizer product. It's meant to push the growth of foliage, trunks, and branches for trees in development. Has anybody tried this product and what were your results?

Thanks.
I have not tried it, but I use miraclegro whoch has the same amount of N for my trees in development. My fertilizimg regime in early spring is organoc slow release pellets with lower N concentrations (green gold, I believe is the brand) and once a week full-force miraclegro. My substrate is all inorganic, by the way. In summer I reduce the pellets and from now to first freeze, I am only using a 0-10-10 once a week to help with hardiness.

Top Bottom