Superthrive: real deal or snake oil?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I wanted to get the opinion of current posters on whether or not this stuff has any real value, or if it's all smoke and mirrors. I'm new to bonsai this year, and I have been using it on my trees, but a quick google search on Superthrive brings up a lot of conflicting info.

What's the general consensus? Real Deal or Snake Oil?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I use it, as it's been recommended to me by people in the bonsai business that I trust.

Excuse me while I go take cover now, I heard the can of worms being opened ;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many prominent doctors say taking a daily vitamin supplement is not worth the money if you eat a balanced diet. Of course the One a Day people hope you continue to line their pockets.

I say use it if it makes you feel good.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used it before.Would you always want the extreme growth that it claims to give though?

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive heard of it and I know some people do use it. I dont use it myself mainly because there is such a differing opinion on how good it really is for the trees. I do use chemical fertilizers. I use 10-10-10 granular that I apply 2x a season. I also use miracle grow powder that you dissolve in water to feed my developing trees (which most my trees are) every 2 weeks or so from spring to early fall at 1/2 strength. I would probably use a bit less with more finished trees but I havent gotten to that stage yet. Ive heard of others using the same regimen and it was recommended to me by someone who has a reputable commercial bonsai nursery.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought a tree online today and the guy promised me he would soak it in superthrive before he ships. What ever. I expect the box will smell like vitamin b when it gets here. I believe it's all it is. I remember when I first started I used it! But started reading studies that said vitamin b does not make a difference..... But if it gives you that I better cross my fingers feeling when your making a wish so be it. Everybody always says soak your tree in it when you repot. Would not rooting hormone make more sense? I don't do that either.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A quick google search yielded this article (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0219121911216.html) on gardenweb.com run by a bonsai practitioner. He performed the experiment using some decent controls with same genetic material in sterile soil. He concluded that Superthrive has some benefit as a rooting aid (one of the ingredients is auxin), but nothing beyond that. It was a very compelling study.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I had repotted a tree I bought from the Meehans that began dropping leaves. So I sent Martha Meehan an email and she asked: "Well did you give it any Superthrive??" Ever since then I've used the stuff. They've got jugs of it sitting around their greenhouses.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought the tiniest bottle I could find after several local club members recommended it. I use it when I first pot up collected materials, sometimes when repotting if the root system looks weak. I can't say that I've seen any positive or negative effect.

Not sure if I'll replace the bottle when I run out. I've thought about doing some tests with seedlings but just haven't had the time.

Chris

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I bought the tiniest bottle I could find after several local club members recommended it. I use it when I first pot up collected materials, sometimes when repotting if the root system looks weak. I can't say that I've seen any positive or negative effect.

Not sure if I'll replace the bottle when I run out. I've thought about doing some tests with seedlings but just haven't had the time.

Chris

I don't know if you noticed or not, but the stuff is extremely expensive. I too went after the tiniest bottle I could find, yet the price tag on it threw me off.

I also haven't really noticed any kind of extreme growth, but the package is fun to read.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure I got mine on deep discount at the end of the season at WalMart. Otherwise, you're right, it is expensive.

And the advertising...one could probably develop an entire business school course based on their packaging and advertising.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I used Superthrive for the first year or two I was into bonsai...lost several of the trees I worked on but a fair number survived. Over the next decade and a half, I've worked on many more trees, some hundreds of years old...I've re-potted these trees well over a hundred times all included, done extreme root pruning, wiring canopy reduction, etc.,...still lost several trees, but my overall success rate has improved significantly since those first two years..........without the Superthrive:eek:.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
And the advertising:
022.jpg

It's the #1 in just about everything, AND it's got "Millions of molecules of World's science miracles in each drop!"

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh it's fun it's like ready a carnival poster.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One good thing about using Superthrive is if you ever go blind you will always be able to find your plants using your sense of smell.

ed

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I had access to lots of nursery material I did a small controlled experiment using about 100 plants of four common bonsai species. I found Superthrive to be useless in most cases, and potentially harmful to J Black Pines.

Brian

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, I saw that video. Very revealing. As I posted above, it appears to only have value as a rooting agent. Might be worthwhile to soak sphagnum moss in it prior to air layering.

Tea from a Weeping Willow is far less expensive and I do not recall it having a bad odor :cool:

Top Bottom