Superthrive

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have seen several articles on collecting trees that all mention Superthrive, sometimes soaking the roots after harvest and before potting. I see some Superthrive on Ebay but it looks kinda like a fertalizer, It's from Omri and says "plant food for all plants" It also says " fish fertilizer 4-1-1" Is this what ppl are referring to Superthive when talking about collecting wild plants or am I looking at the wrong thing. Most of the articles also suggest no fertilizer until the plant starts growing so I'm skeptical of this product.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I consider Superthrive to be snake oil - waste of money.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some professionals use HB101 and Superthrive, also Root Ruckus, for newly collected or repotted plants. They're not really fertilizers, as they're not salts of N,P, or K, which can burn tender, inactive roots. They claim to contain beneficial micronutrients, which can help new roots. As you can see, that claim is debated and controversial.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The main ingredient that adds credibility to Superthrive is B vitamins, which has been used to stimulate root growth for many decades. I like it, I use it and have for at least 40 years.
This has already been debated here, look in the archives.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can do more for your trees by learning how to properly water and fertilize them. This stuff is a crutch and those newbies unfamiliar with the stuff think it's some kind of miracle worker. It ain't.

From the ASU article:
"Various studies using woody plants, annual flowers, and crop plants failed to demonstrate that vitamin B1 treatments provide any subsequent growth response. Conversely, vitamin B-1 (thiamine) is an important component of tissue culture media where plant tissues are propagated using sterile conditions and artificial growth media. “Miracle growth” claims used by companies selling vitamin B-1 are usually taken from tissue culture research. Healthy plants manufacture their own vitamin B-1 making it unnecessary to add any additional amounts. Many fungi and bacteria associated with plant roots also produce vitamin B-1, so it’s likely that healthy soils will contain adequate levels of this vitamin without amendment."

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some threads I should just stay the hell away from.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Doesn’t do anything and many more experienced people/ authors in the bonsai sphere debunk it as well.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
no opinion but you will only get a binary 'works' or 'don't bother' answer. I have never used it but a lot of old bonsai books recommend it. If it doesn't work it is amazing it has been around since WW2. I will testify @Dav4 's hair is legendary and the packaging alone is a masterclass.

1643151081224.png

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Al Nelson HIGHLY recommends HB-101 when collecting CA oaks. Maybe he's been duped, but he swears that it works great for him. Considering his successes, it doesn't hurt anything but the wallet and may have some positive effects on oaks.

EDIT: However... I don't think any of that stuff is necessary.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Skip the Superthrive, do a soak of seaweed with some humic acids and fulvic acids instead. Humates are good. Check your brand of seaweed extract, some list humates, those are the brands to get. The effects of seaweed and humates and fulvic acids will be much more visible than any from Superthrive or HB101.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it's fish emulsion.. I'm all for it..but not sure of the science behind dunking.

I've observed personal surveys for The Company my father was doing engineering for.. concluding that Fish Emulsion's (or the nutrients IN the solution) "bioavailability" (NOT SURE if that's the word they use) remained consistent whether dosed via soil, ORRR Absorbed Through foliage. (I'm detracting fire) They use this data to tweak their mixtures.. REALLY neat stuff. Now that my Dad is retired, I can't just "swing by the plant"

My friend, @leonwolf2392 (I forced him to Bnut.. hasn't been back since) actually still works at the SOLELY fish location/plant.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I can ACTUALLY smell that plant...

From here. 😂😂

(totally kidding, but it IS like 1.4 miles from me)

Top Bottom