Surenge - minimalist literati / penjing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Saw a post with this link elsewhere and thought I'd share. The person seemed to be describing the style as "surenge penjing" but the translation of this page makes it sound like Surenge may be an artist - I really don't know.

Does anyone play with this minimalist style? They indicated it wasn't particularly popular, I'm wondering if and how it differs from bunjin/literati. If anyone knows how it's done, I'd be interested to hear.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for iIllustrations of proper Literati done by chinese where this form originated. Personal belief is no difference from proper Literati/Bunjin-ji. Part of Literati description/definition is sparse foliage. Most posting here have way too much foliage. Also erroneously claim deciduous/broadleaf trees make poor Literati. Illustrations prove this to be lie or gross prejudice. Several here try to "make" Literati. Most succeed poorly. Personally admire and work toward creditable Literati😌.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you for iIllustrations of proper Literati done by chinese where this form originated. Personal belief is no difference from proper Literati/Bunjin-ji. Part of Literati description/definition is sparse foliage. Most posting here have way too much foliage. Also erroneously claim deciduous/broadleaf trees make poor Literati. Illustrations prove this to be lie or gross prejudice. Several here try to "make" Literati. Most succeed poorly. Personally admire and work toward creditable Literati😌.

yeah these are stunning, I’d like to learn more! Seems like I can’t link images so here are some screenshots - I really like that impact of developed ramification on the lanky material

52EDE057-16BA-4324-953A-1C64CFA550D1.png

and I REALLY dig this, there’s a penjing literati book I have where he plays with these vertical dripping branches like this too and I find it very compelling. Here it’s more of a broken / saved branch story maybe, but in other examples it’s like it’s dripping down the tree

0046770F-224D-4373-8F42-04D24EAA515F.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They should refrain from displaying trees with that motel art on the wall, looks like it came from Walmart.

Scrolls, yes.
That other stuff....nah.
It’s funny, because some early Penzai/Penchi were trees grown/guided THROUGH frames kind of like that! 🤣🤣

I DO agree with you, though! 🤣🤣

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditto -- but I think those may be fixtures of the display space, as I've got the impression it's a show -- I wondered when I saw it, if anybody was bummed about their tree's placement.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just look at the tree shadows on the subtly landscape painted wall behind - some of them fit right in to an ancient literati painting, beautiful.

I absolutely love this style, so simple looking yet so hard to create authentically.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really love these. I have a few plants in mind that will work well with this minimalist style.

Top Bottom