Surprise freeze....dammit!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, I.....JUST.... repotted my procumbens yesterday on a fairly nice just cool day.
And ...last night .... it freezes so hard that the soil is frozen solid.

Same on the olives. :mad:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey @Mike Corazzi That sucks!!
I assume you are in Northern CA? Do you usually get freezes in 9b?
Not often. Mostly when expected... like Nov-Dec. SOME early Jan.
And then usually high 20's. NOT likely ...now... but.... :confused:

I shelter the sensitive ones like the olive and boxwood during the normal expected freezes.

However.... should never COUNT on "usual."

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That must be what is headed our way. Covering plants 3 nights this week.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Similar situation in my area as well. Went from 50f and sunny for several days to sub 20f. Some of my landscape trees had just started to leaf out...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't worry too much about the boxwood. I have soil freeze solid on mine (Japanese, American and Korean) all winter. Some remain frozen in pots for months. No issues, foliage may bronze a bit, but the green comes back with warmer weather. I don't know about the olive, but I suspect it's OK. Short shallow freezes like the one these got hit with are rarely more than short term issues. If thing had frozen below 25 for a few days, I'd start worrying about the olive.

We're in for a killer springtime here in the eastern U.S. with the same odd conditions you've described. It was 80 F back in early Jan. We've had above average temps the last few weeks. Today and tomorrow 70's with no freezing in sight for the next week. I've got several maples and other stuff about to bud out.

Spring is NOT here. We will get a deep freeze probably at the end of the month, or in March. This happened last year and I lost some trees and had significant dieback on others.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree. I was looking up some weather radars and tends earlier today and there's still cold to come before it gets warmer.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here in England it’s been very mild, starting to see regular temps of around 8-12c.. not good.. it’s not late enough to start seeing that.
A few Pyracantha are showing tiny fresh green leaves.

https://flic.kr/p/2inJeh9

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The juniper will be fine... ask me how I know :p . As a rule, olives don't like to freeze... but I have some 18 mo old cuttings that have been on my bench all winter and saw 18 F 10 weeks ago and are still green.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm a little bit north of you, Mike. Did re-pots and root work on some young projects last week because it has been so warm. Expected mid-30s last night. Got 28.

Not terribly worried about it, but will likely move a couple things into the garage tonight and tomorrow because it looks like we'll have a couple more dips.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We had 70 degree, sunny weather the past 2 days.

It’s currently 20, dumping snow, and expected to get down to 2 tomorrow night. Talk about a swing!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
4 trees are coming inside tonight. I have an electric blanket.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is 66 F right now and was warmer earlier. Not at all unusual and it happens almost every winter. I have been in the plant business since I was reaching puberty and I am never surprised by the weather. Three years ago we hit 14 below in the later part of February. Could happen again.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
70 degrees her yesterday, chance of snow Wednesday............

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Penumbra said: I have been in the plant business since I was reaching puberty.....

So is there some connection between your age of Puberty (or having a Penis Erection) and Bonsai ??? and how old were you at that time ???

Top Bottom