Surprised!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last fall, I severed an air layer off of a potted field maple I have; it had what I thought was a pretty interesting multi trunk base going on.

Soon after potting up, the layer's leaves turned brown and I thought I probably lost it. I left way too much foliage on it... Scratching branches wasn't showing good results either. But it was fall and I thought possibly I had just put it into an early dormancy so I decided to keep it, I even mulched it in with the rest of the stuff.

After work today, I was pulling some stuff out of winter storage and noticed a couple small branches had actually leafed out! There was no way for me to tell before because everything was crammed together.

I had written this one off basically last fall, but I was thoroughly surprised to see a few small branches with leaves. I wonder if anything else will flush now with more light?

Moral of the story: don't write off your layers (at least maples) if their foliage immediately turns brown after severing, give it some time through spring to see if they wake up.

Anybody else have almost failed layers surprise them before?

IMG_20190425_191453107.jpg
IMG_20190425_191738454.jpg

Top Bottom