Survive damping off?

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This little Japanese black pine seedling just keeps going. I noticed it was damping off so I carefully planted it deeper in a container with new sphagnum peat and the damage seems to have halted where it is currently. It is definitely still growing. Do they ever survive like this?

20200222_114851.jpg

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does not look affected by fungus.
Might be hard to see on camera but there's a distinctive band where the stem is brown and suddenly about half a millimeter thinner than the rest. Also it has since flopped over since I took the photo.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If it is damping off that's a fungal infection. Without treatment it will spread rapidly. I have not known any to survive without proper treatment and usually the treatment does not save affected seedlings, just prevents it infecting others. It is probably already too late to save this one if it has now collapsed.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it is damping off that's a fungal infection. Without treatment it will spread rapidly. I have not known any to survive without proper treatment and usually the treatment does not save affected seedlings, just prevents it infecting others. It is probably already too late to save this one if it has now collapsed.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I did have a couple tomato plants survive a few years ago but they were still sickly and hardly produced any fruit. I think the fungus was living in some old peat pods which I had laying around and used.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So yeah, it suddenly took a turn for the worse. The stem became thread thin at the soil line and the brown was spreading so I discarded the whole thing container and all. The other seedlings that were in the same tray seem to be fine so hopefully I got rid of it in time.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be hard to see on camera but there's a distinctive band where the stem is brown and suddenly about half a millimeter thinner than the rest. Also it has since flopped over since I took the photo.
OK, let me rephrase: It looks like it is in a dark spot and lacks sunlight, yes. It looks like the root is above the soil, yes (The brown part is root, not stem). It does not look like fungal infection.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK, let me rephrase: It looks like it is in a dark spot and lacks sunlight, yes. It looks like the root is above the soil, yes (The brown part is root, not stem). It does not look like fungal infection.
I thought of this which is why I specifically transplanted it deeper than it was. The margin moved upwards. Unfortunately I can't take any risks because I have other seeds that I need to start soon which I'm really counting on.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The damping fungus isn’t always fatal. A more free-draining soil mix plus strong sun (UV light) and airflow will naturally inhibit the fungus.

If you spot the fungus again in the future you can correct for it if you catch it early. If you’re starting seeds indoors then increase the light intensity and airflow (point a fan straight across the tray) and decrease the frequency at which you water.

Good luck on your future batches!

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I recovered it from the trash so I can watch what happens to it and see if it really is the root so that I can learn and know the difference. I planted it even deeper in the container. I want to believe that it isn't infected and I think it is important to be able to tell for sure. I'll just watch it to gain experience for now.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is likely that the root was just exposed below the soil level and when you messed with it that stessed it even more. Next time just add a little soil over the exposed root area without disturbing the roots themselves.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is likely that the root was just exposed below the soil level and when you messed with it that stessed it even more. Next time just add a little soil over the exposed root area without disturbing the roots themselves.
Yeah, it was in a peat pod initially and I just put the whole pod in the container cell and added more loose peat on top. I use peat pods to avoid transplant stress but the pods I have might be too small for actual trees which may be why it pushed out.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does not look affected by fungus.
I believe you were right the first time. Sorry I didn't listen sooner. It seems to have completely recovered even after being thrown in the trash and taken out again and repotted a second time. I feel like I've learned some things.

20200226_123935.jpg

Top Bottom