SUTHIN EASTERN WHITE CEDAR

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Or more correctly, Thuja occidentalis as it is not a true cedar. It is a native of the northeastern United States and Canada and thus extremely hardy needing little to no protection in winter. Loves full sun, lots of water and fertilizer. Its wood is light but very resistant to rot. Usually old collected Thuja have great character featuring lots of deadwood.

This tree was purchased in the summer of 2016 at a 2 day sale that Suthin had right in his garden and nursery. It is a small leaf cultivar with dense and compact foliage. By comparison many of the Thuja I have seen produce much larger fronds and have a more open growth habit.

According to Suhtin this tree was sourced from a nursery in Vermont and not a collected specimen despite the great amount of natural looking deadwood it has. In just four years Suthin was able to take it from raw stock to bonsai worthy of the 1rst US National Exhibition back in 2008.

Below the tree as pictured in the 1rst US National book. This book is now nearly impossible to find. Many thanks to Dave (Dav4) for the opportunity to acquire it from him.

It also appeared in a 2014 issue of International Bonsai magazine as well as in the Bonsai Bark blog the previous year. The IB magazine was gifted to me by Brian (Nybonsai12) as I was trying to pull together any material related to its history.

This is the tree as pictured in the online catalogue for the 2015 bonsai sale extravaganza at Suthin's nursery.

Finally at my place, this IPhone photo taken just a few days after the sale. It is apparent that Suthin may have worked the tree prior to the actual sale as it appeared more refined that in the catalogue photo.

I intend to submit this tree for next year's 6th US National. If it does get accepted, it would be ten years since its showing at the 1rst US National marking a significant milestone in this tree's history.

The tree just days ago. Overgrown but there is a tree inside there somewhere. Before any wiring is applied, I needed to cut back, thin out foliage and edit all branches to bifurcate neatly.

Here is the tree after it had been cut back and its deadwood cleaned and treated once again. Even without any wire, the tree's shape and form began to emerge once again. I am hoping to wire it completely in the next few weeks. The ten-jin is still there. It will be made visible once again as I tighten and lower the apex area when it gets styled. I would also like to find a different container and get it repotted next spring.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a sweet specimen! Hope to see it in person next September.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The best way to make your maples smaller?

Bring home a bunch of giant ass beasts!

:)

Mach....at this rate!
Soon your Maples will vanish!

Diggin the biggins!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a very serious tree. Don't know how you ever leave your garden anymore with all you have to gaze upon. (and all the tasks you have as well!)

I don't Juds! As you know, for some of us this IS a second job. My wife knows exactly where to find me almost all the time if I'm not in the house. You need to move here. I know your husband will understand! :p

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't Juds! As you know, for some of us this IS a second job. My wife knows exactly where to find me almost all the time if I'm not in the house. You need to move here. I know your husband will understand! :p

lets make it a three some..o_O

Serious it is a 2nd job - every night usually have I put my daughter to bed I bring a few tree's in the living room to work on them and my wife just shakes her head as I work into the night. Though I LOVE your yard. I plan on doing something similar in my new house this spring - all small gravel like that

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

The best way to make your maples smaller?

Bring home a bunch of giant ass beasts!

:)

Mach....at this rate!
Soon your Maples will vanish!

Diggin the biggins!

Sorce

Unlikely sorce that maples will disappear. They are at the heart of my love for bonsai. It is true that my attention has been shifting to expand my horizons sort of speak. However, I still think deciduous bonsai will always be a major part in my garden.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
lets make it a three some..o_O

Serious it is a 2nd job - every night usually have I put my daughter to bed I bring a few tree's in the living room to work on them and my wife just shakes her head as I work into the night. Though I LOVE your yard. I plan on doing something similar in my new house this spring - all small gravel like that

Nice and good luck Giga! Gravel gives you a very clean look. Just be aware the weeds will/do come up so it needs attention and some upkeep. I rake the gravel every so often to make it look nice. Otherwise it starts to settle and flattens out specially those heavy traffic areas.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking great Serg!
The branches on this tree are awesome. Lots of details hidden in there with all the deadwood and curves. And another bonus: it only takes one to lift it!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking great Serg!
The branches on this tree are awesome. Lots of details hidden in there with all the deadwood and curves. And another bonus: it only takes one to lift it!

I have no idea how the big bends were made on those two really thick branches at the very top. They look completely natural so it's possible that they may have grown like that naturally? I should press Suthin for more details!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who and where is this Suthin?

Mach! I know you aren't getting rid of your Mape Mapes!

Sorce

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the world of eastern white cedar... it is a beautiful yet often scary and frustrating place :) The shari on the branches is really next level... a testament to Suthin's professionalism. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on this tree.

As a side note, I'm actually experimenting on a few trees with a different approach to managing my thuja foliage after doing a workshop with Bjorn. He thinks they should be handled exactly how he handles hinoki which is pretty aggressive pinching (I'm sure you've seen some of his Bonsai Art of Japan videos where he goes over hinoki management). This makes sense since the wild-type hinoki foliage is extremely similar to thuja occidentalis. I also successfully bud-grafted wild-type hinoki onto thuja this year, so that will be an interesting project.

I really like how Suthin manages thuja though. Looks to be mostly scissor thinning with a bit of pinching here and there. I'd be interested to hear if he gave you any tips :)

Congratulations on an amazing tree, it is in great hands!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the world of eastern white cedar... it is a beautiful yet often scary and frustrating place :) The shari on the branches is really next level... a testament to Suthin's professionalism. I'm looking forward to seeing your work on this tree.

As a side note, I'm actually experimenting on a few trees with a different approach to managing my thuja foliage after doing a workshop with Bjorn. He thinks they should be handled exactly how he handles hinoki which is pretty aggressive pinching (I'm sure you've seen some of his Bonsai Art of Japan videos where he goes over hinoki management). This makes sense since the wild-type hinoki foliage is extremely similar to thuja occidentalis. I also successfully bud-grafted wild-type hinoki onto thuja this year, so that will be an interesting project.

I really like how Suthin manages thuja though. Looks to be mostly scissor thinning with a bit of pinching here and there. I'd be interested to hear if he gave you any tips :)

Congratulations on an amazing tree, it is in great hands!

I just got one of these too - not nearly at this scale but it's a pretty neat species

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes. Very nice trees, and just a quick ride down the interstate. I'm sure there would be plenty of divorce lawyers for me to choose from on the ride back.....if I was allowed back in the truck, that is!!:eek::eek::eek::D

I have no issue with pricey tree's if they warrent it, and some of them do(like this tree @MACH5 bought), but some of them are over priced, I've seen a few very developed tree's on FB auction for half the price. Heck I'd love to sell my shohin black pine for a grand :)

Top Bottom