Suthin sale

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome selection……very nice to see what can be done with mutiple seedlings grown together in some cases .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are worth the price tag but who can pay that price? I don't know anyone personally who can spend that kind of money. By the time I receive an inheritance I'll be too old to take care of them.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are worth the price tag but who can pay that price? I don't know anyone personally who can spend that kind of money. By the time I receive an inheritance I'll be too old to take care of them.
The stage of these trees fit the ones that can afford - wealthy matured Americans. For those that still young, start with something smaller and affordable as you have the time to wait and learn horticulture skill.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For the number of years, time and effort Suthin invested in these trees, the prices are quite reasonable.

I am definitely thinking about one. But don't know if I will follow through. Such a purchase would use up two or three years worth of my "bonsai budget". If anyone was paying attention, I have not been buying pots on 99 cent bonsai for quite a while, so I have saved up a little in my "bonsai bank account".

I am not wealthy by any means. My income is below the national median income for a family of 4. Actually I'm probably closer to the poverty line for a family of 4. But I live inside my means, carry little or no credit card debt. I drive a 20 year old auto, which I need to replace soon. I will probably buy a 5 to 10 year old car and drive it another 10 years.

If found quite a while ago that buying lots of "cheap nursery projects" really adds up over a year. And all those "nursery projects" were taking up time and space that could go for fewer, but better trees.

Really, once you get to the point where you don't feel the need to buy another $10 juniper on sale at the local nursery, you can save up for better trees. I used to spend $20 to $50 a month on cheap trees, and about the same amount on booze. I quit buying cheap trees, quit drinking and my "mad money" account became my "buying better bonsai" account. It means once a year I can make a $200 to $500 purchase. And I did not make a purchase in 2020, so I am thinking about a purchase from Suthin. Though I should probably upgrade the auto first.

Seriously, once you have "learned bonsai" enough that the horticulture is not a limit, it is possible to focus how you buy, and even on a limited income, you can save up for better purchases. Better trees take more time to maintain. Detail wiring takes a lot of time, sometimes a whole day or more. One does not need many better trees to keep yourself busy.

I can do all the bonsai techniques possible on 100 sticks in pots in less than 100 minutes. Really, either a quick chop or one twist of wire, and you're done for another year. One the other hand, a $500 satsuki or JBP might need 4 or more hours of detail work two or three times a year. You don't need as many of these better trees to fill your time. The danger is your cheap sticks in pots will distract you from putting proper care into your better trees.

SO once you are confident about keeping a tree alive, and have a basic idea about how to train a tree, stop buying nursery stock, and start picking up older, closer to exhibition quality trees. But only use money that you would normally use on a hobby. Instead to constantly dropping $5, $10 or $20 every month, stash it away, build up a reserve. Make fewer but better targeted purchases. And start thinking about selling or gifting away some of your "sticks in pots" that you are not as interested in.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Me!! Hell, I'm holding back from buying 2-3!!! 'Course the 900 smackers put into the truck for inspection helps to temper the desire!! ;) 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 🤤

Holding back?! I think you just need to walk on over to the fridge, crack open a cold beverage, and log back on to Suthin’s site for another look…you know you want to….

🙂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For the number of years, time and effort Suthin invested in these trees, the prices are quite reasonable.

I am definitely thinking about one. But don't know if I will follow through. Such a purchase would use up two or three years worth of my "bonsai budget". If anyone was paying attention, I have not been buying pots on 99 cent bonsai for quite a while, so I have saved up a little in my "bonsai bank account".

I am not wealthy by any means. My income is below the national median income for a family of 4. Actually I'm probably closer to the poverty line for a family of 4. But I live inside my means, carry little or no credit card debt. I drive a 20 year old auto, which I need to replace soon. I will probably buy a 5 to 10 year old car and drive it another 10 years.

If found quite a while ago that buying lots of "cheap nursery projects" really adds up over a year. And all those "nursery projects" were taking up time and space that could go for fewer, but better trees.

Really, once you get to the point where you don't feel the need to buy another $10 juniper on sale at the local nursery, you can save up for better trees. I used to spend $20 to $50 a month on cheap trees, and about the same amount on booze. I quit buying cheap trees, quit drinking and my "mad money" account became my "buying better bonsai" account. It means once a year I can make a $200 to $500 purchase. And I did not make a purchase in 2020, so I am thinking about a purchase from Suthin. Though I should probably upgrade the auto first.

Seriously, once you have "learned bonsai" enough that the horticulture is not a limit, it is possible to focus how you buy, and even on a limited income, you can save up for better purchases. Better trees take more time to maintain. Detail wiring takes a lot of time, sometimes a whole day or more. One does not need many better trees to keep yourself busy.

I can do all the bonsai techniques possible on 100 sticks in pots in less than 100 minutes. Really, either a quick chop or one twist of wire, and you're done for another year. One the other hand, a $500 satsuki or JBP might need 4 or more hours of detail work two or three times a year. You don't need as many of these better trees to fill your time. The danger is your cheap sticks in pots will distract you from putting proper care into your better trees.

SO once you are confident about keeping a tree alive, and have a basic idea about how to train a tree, stop buying nursery stock, and start picking up older, closer to exhibition quality trees. But only use money that you would normally use on a hobby. Instead to constantly dropping $5, $10 or $20 every month, stash it away, build up a reserve. Make fewer but better targeted purchases. And start thinking about selling or gifting away some of your "sticks in pots" that you are not as interested in.

that mentality is fantastic i think. sometimes i feel silly but then i realize, for example, that i don’t care about cars, at all, and am driving a 2003 with “only” 120k miles on it.

a friend in florida just told me he had six pickups, one of which he just sold for 30k. he ain’t a millionaire as far as i’m aware.

i dunno

it’s all relative

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s some good advice @Leo in N E Illinois!

I read something similar from you in the “How to become a good bonsai beginner” thread and started to pick up some better trees along with the developing sticks in many pots over here.

So I’ve got a big foot in the ‘stick‘ pot and a smaller one in the ‘better trees’ pot. Over time the plan is to let the balance shift more towards older trees as I sell off the smaller trees that I don‘t think have as much promise and use that seed money to fund a few bigger trees.

Good luck on the used car. I‘ve had a number of 20 year olds cars, the oldest 25 and finally managed to move up to a newer model.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i did also tell myself that this foray into it, which is a few years deep now, that i wouldn’t f around. i decided i was gonna do it, or not, and “doing it” sometimes means spending money to get the thing to allow you to do the thing.

“the thing” and the associated dollar amount varies

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I sure can't afford it with my social security. Its gone before I get it. My truck is a 2002, my car a 2007, I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill, and generally avoid nurseries like the plague. Not saying I will never buy a fine bonsai, but certainly not in the near future and in the far future I'm old enough already to discount the idea as folly.
But, I never say never, and if it slips out, it is a slip of the tongue.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I get further along I def feel less hesitancy spending a few more bucks on nice material. But I have yet to spend more than $100 on material. Which I’m sure I will do at some point. As a matter of fact, had this sale popped up this time next year I may have been willing to pull the trigger. I do however still visit nurseries often. And when I say often I mean all the time. I really enjoy it when I can find true hidden gems or obscure species where you would normally not find them, at a standard nursery, for nursery prices. I don’t think I will ever stop visiting nurseries and looking, but my eye and focus will become more and more focused. I’ve got around 40 trees and few if any are actually “sticks”. Many of them are collected also and that is something I will continue doing more and more of.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ryan neil in particular has shown the way i think, in that you can pick up reasonably priced nursery material, develop it into semi trained/pre bonsai then either keep or sell on for more than what you paid. win win
do that a handful of times and use the money to buy better trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ryan neil in particular has shown the way i think, in that you can pick up reasonably priced nursery material, develop it into semi trained/pre bonsai then either keep or sell on for more than what you paid. win win

i’m kinda picking up on that too

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This. I’m all for this. Though I have yet to sell anything yet, I’ve got several trees I’m sure could fetch more than the 15/20/40 I paid for them

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This. I’m all for this. Though I have yet to sell anything yet, I’ve got several trees I’m sure could fetch more than the 15/20/40 I paid for them
i literally bought these two maples in the last few weeks and already got back my money and a bit on top.

and the owners were very happy with the trees, both will be nice little trees in a few years.

bonsai can be a good investment if you pick wisely. and if you know what youre doing your money is safe. and the tree is a growing, living thing, that should improve in your care and increase in potential and value.

Attachments

• 20210814_205715.jpg
    20210814_205715.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i literally bought these two maples in the last few weeks and already got back my money and a bit on top.

and the owners were very happy with the trees, both will be nice little trees in a few years.
It’s like a treasure hunt also to seek out incredibly character filled trunks amongs just decent at best material.

Top Bottom