Swamp Chestnut Oak Bonsai?

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all, new to both the forum and Bonsai here. I’ve recently started doing a lot of research on Bonsai, and have looked into a lot of the native species here in Louisiana. Two I have had a lot of interest in are white oak and the swamp chestnut oak. My Aunt had given me a Swamp Chestnut Oak back in May that she’d been growing from a seeding for 2-3years, and I may have prematurely did some trimming before gathering enough info. I have since read a lot since then, though this particular tree doesn’t have a lot of bonsai info out there.

These photos are before and what the tree looks like now. The tree had three main branches at the top of its trunk. I cut all three back, but left a couple inches thinking it would die back. Well a ton of new branches have exploded from these, and I’m worried in the long run there may be too many sprouts coming from the one spot.

I plan reporting into a shallow pot, and on doing some trimming again before spring, but wanted to see what suggestions were out there. The base has a unique twist in it, but the lowest branch had died and started rotting which lead me to cut it back but not off. The tree is currently about 2 feet tall and in a pot with an inside diameter of 17 inches.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Attachments

• 144EDDBD-374B-46BE-A1B8-D3A1CA79DF6B.jpeg
    144EDDBD-374B-46BE-A1B8-D3A1CA79DF6B.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 9B0EF5B2-F79D-41EB-B445-D2819DFA9D9C.jpeg
    9B0EF5B2-F79D-41EB-B445-D2819DFA9D9C.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 24
  • F690F61C-7BA1-4B2A-AF8B-5434748F6EC0.jpeg
    F690F61C-7BA1-4B2A-AF8B-5434748F6EC0.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 26
  • CF2F5CC0-319D-4798-9F20-2ECE5D25D70A.jpeg
    CF2F5CC0-319D-4798-9F20-2ECE5D25D70A.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 32
  • CCAD98AF-C1DB-4CC7-8764-E5CF40AF4C4C.jpeg
    CCAD98AF-C1DB-4CC7-8764-E5CF40AF4C4C.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 1ECB02C2-E2C2-45FB-819D-9BC0FB340406.jpeg
    1ECB02C2-E2C2-45FB-819D-9BC0FB340406.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2C1C7B6D-EDC1-4D10-929A-BA078A1DA2F6.jpeg
    2C1C7B6D-EDC1-4D10-929A-BA078A1DA2F6.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1D3CE163-1729-416F-9996-3C775433860D.jpeg
    1D3CE163-1729-416F-9996-3C775433860D.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 36

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, new to both the forum and Bonsai here. I’ve recently started doing a lot of research on Bonsai, and have looked into a lot of the native species here in Louisiana. Two I have had a lot of interest in are white oak and the swamp chestnut oak. My Aunt had given me a Swamp Chestnut Oak back in May that she’d been growing from a seeding for 2-3years, and I may have prematurely did some trimming before gathering enough info. I have since read a lot since then, though this particular tree doesn’t have a lot of bonsai info out there.

These photos are before and what the tree looks like now. The tree had three main branches at the top of its trunk. I cut all three back, but left a couple inches thinking it would die back. Well a ton of new branches have exploded from these, and I’m worried in the long run there may be too many sprouts coming from the one spot.

I plan reporting into a shallow pot, and on doing some trimming again before spring, but wanted to see what suggestions were out there. The base has a unique twist in it, but the lowest branch had died and started rotting which lead me to cut it back but not off. The tree is currently about 2 feet tall and in a pot with an inside diameter of 17 inches.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Oaks are great bonsai subjects. I've never grown swamp chestnut oak, but it looks like you can make something decent from it (you may find in the future that the base is not what you originally thought it was in terms of "bonsai-ness"). The main things to keep in mind are, in no particular order: 1) this tree, along with any others you acquire over the next few years, is best thought of as practice material as you'll be on a steep learning curve; 2) you need 25-50 trees as soon as you can acquire them; with one or two in hand, you'll be tempted daily to "bonsai" them one way or another; no tree likes to be loved too much, so if you have a few dozen the odds that any one will get too much attention are much lower; 3) this time of year isn't the best for digging trees if you plan to, so you may want to start scouting for bargains at Home Depot or elsewhere; crape myrtles, oaks, maples, anything that grows around here will give you some things to fool around with for now; and 4) find the closest club to you and join; there are four or five in Louisiana, so whichever is closest.

Good luck!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
See my response here

By the way, Zach Smith has far more experience with oaks than I do myself, so if there are any contradictions between my post and his advice, follow Zach's advice. I did not read his post before I wrote mine. This is an issue when you double post a topic, even if you make a mistake as to which thread you want it in, just leave it as a single thread, otherwise you have people like me posting without knowing what was said in the other thread.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pound your feet weary at the Fais-do-do, traveler! The Woody Dwarves wait within the dancing meadows of the Tiny Forest!

Nothing to add... just enjoy the swamp chestnut oaks that I’ve seen in Alabama.. (at least I THINK that’s what they were)..

Pleasure to make your acquaintance, cher!

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Oaks are great bonsai subjects. I've never grown swamp chestnut oak, but it looks like you can make something decent from it (you may find in the future that the base is not what you originally thought it was in terms of "bonsai-ness"). The main things to keep in mind are, in no particular order: 1) this tree, along with any others you acquire over the next few years, is best thought of as practice material as you'll be on a steep learning curve; 2) you need 25-50 trees as soon as you can acquire them; with one or two in hand, you'll be tempted daily to "bonsai" them one way or another; no tree likes to be loved too much, so if you have a few dozen the odds that any one will get too much attention are much lower; 3) this time of year isn't the best for digging trees if you plan to, so you may want to start scouting for bargains at Home Depot or elsewhere; crape myrtles, oaks, maples, anything that grows around here will give you some things to fool around with for now; and 4) find the closest club to you and join; there are four or five in Louisiana, so whichever is closest.

Good luck!

I have started picking up a few trees marked down from different stores to work with. My little boy (4 year old that is pestering my wife with what all we can make into bonsai trees lol) and I have scoped our 12-15 trees on our property we will try collecting around February probably. Many common species such as winged elms, water oaks, a white oak, maples, and have my eye on a few cypress trees at my hunting camp. Next will be to check out some local clubs it sounds like!

thanks for the help!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love, love, love. Beautiful leaves/a favorite. Unusual base could be interesting tree in time. Personal suggestion let big main trunk grow about 5-6 years to grow trunk. When big enough cut off above lower side trunk because is straight and boring and use this lower side one for new trunk. In mean time make sure lower trunk not overshadowed by upper trunks foliage so can begin development on it and keep strong;).

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Love, love, love. Beautiful leaves/a favorite. Unusual base could be interesting tree in time. Personal suggestion let big main trunk grow about 5-6 years to grow trunk. When big enough cut off above lower side trunk because is straight and boring and use this lower side one for new trunk. In mean time make sure lower trunk not overshadowed by upper trunks foliage so can begin development on it and keep strong;).

when you say cut above lower side trunk, where exactly would you make this cut? Just above The lowest branch that forks off the main trunk above the twist in the base? Like in this picture?

Attachments

• 86C2902A-1486-4328-8013-1C89E0CD045A.jpeg
    86C2902A-1486-4328-8013-1C89E0CD045A.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 14

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Directly above it. Some say cut straight, some cut at angle. I say angle then protect from drying with cut past so no die back. After callus forms at edges paste no longer needed. Personally would leave till next growing season;).

Top Bottom