Swamp Cypress Chop Time

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of chopping my Swamp Cypress but I just wanted to double check on timing. Mr Underwood has given some good advice but suggested I post here for further input. At present, it is leafless but the buds are starting to move. I'd probably say it'll be a 3 weeks ish before it leafs out. Is it best to do it now when leafless or wait til it buds out? Some advice on timing for the best result (ie buds popping further down the trunk) is appreciated. Thanks

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I say that you can chop it now. I have chopped them in the middle of winter and in the spring when the buds start to pop, it really did not make any difference. After it starts to grow pick the shoot that you want to be the new leader and train it in the direction that you want it to grow. Next winter carve the trunk so it blends in.

John

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Assuming the roots are well established, chop away. If the tree is a larger one, make sure the chop is straight across. When it comes time for the next, angled cut, be sure not to cut it too close to the new leader as you risk a reverse taper situation at the point of the chop. Cypress are powerfully top dominant, as I'm sure you know.

Good luck with your cypress!

Zach

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes the roots are well established and it's been growing strongly a few seasons. It's probably 10 - 12 ft high. I'm guessing the standard advice about keeping a low sacrifice and developing it (if one pops) would be a good idea - bulking up the base? Do these callus over fairly readily?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes the roots are well established and it's been growing strongly a few seasons. It's probably 10 - 12 ft high. I'm guessing the standard advice about keeping a low sacrifice and developing it (if one pops) would be a good idea - bulking up the base? Do these callus over fairly readily?
I don't know if a low sacrifice branch would bulk up the base as I've never tried it. They callus over like crazy, which is why you have to make the chops straight in the apex.

Zach

Top Bottom