Swamp Cypress question

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Today I noticed these aerial roots ,pneumatophores, or whatever you guys in USA call them, in a lake in England, beside a swamp cypress, and I was wondering if I dug or chopped one out would it grow easily?- has anyone tried growing their trees from these roots? They seem to have a natural taper!
Merry Christmas everyone!
IMG_0289.JPG

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t think the physiology will allow for that if you just cut one knee off and try to propagate it. Otherwise I would think we would in nature see new tree’s forming from them.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I was thinking more of possibly chopping out a short section of root with ''Knee ''attached ,
but are you saying that in nature new trees/ foliage never grow from them? I wondered if they might react like a large hardwood cutting?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
If they dont have any dormant bud is impossible to get new growth from them, they are a very specialized structure, I think they dont have them, if you cut the original tree I dont think the knees can sprout new branches

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nope, they won't grow a tree.

But they do make cool paperweights, and someone around here made a handle(I think) out of one.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nope, they won't grow a tree.

But they do make cool paperweights, and someone around here made a handle(I think) out of one.
Yep. They won't grow a tree. I've attempted a few thread grafts through the knees and they all have failed. I will try again sometime in the future.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are no "resting buds" in BC knee tissue. It won't sprout leaves if it is severed (or if simply left in place)...There are some folks in the U.S. who drill out the backs of collected knees and graft BC saplings into them. I have a friend who has had one of those going on ten years now. At first it looked silly and pretty damn ugly, but over the years, the graft has blended into the knee and it's a pretty decent little BC bonsai with tremendous taper.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are no "resting buds" in BC knee tissue. It won't sprout leaves if it is severed (or if simply left in place)...There are some folks in the U.S. who drill out the backs of collected knees and graft BC saplings into them. I have a friend who has had one of those going on ten years now. At first it looked silly and pretty damn ugly, but over the years, the graft has blended into the knee and it's a pretty decent little BC bonsai with tremendous taper.
That's what I tried and it didn't take. I will try again.

Top Bottom