Swamp Cypress Styling Help

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Live from DC and I had some general stying and development questions concerning my Swamp Cypress.
20210910_140432.jpg
This is my proposed front and I was looking for any advice on making it a flat top. I did the repot in early Spring, feeding and watering through the season. Are the bottom 2 branches too thick to use in the design? Also if I have to branch prune and regrow, should I cut off in late fall? Also wanted to do some carving to the top to add interest. I read that this should be done in the spring after growth has hardened off. Any and all advice is welcome.
20210910_134923.jpg
20210910_134935.jpg
Additional snaps of the tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tree, few thoughts to your Qs:

Lower branches are almost as thick as your strongest leader, but you don't necessarily need to cut off and start over. You can control how thick these get by cutting vs. letting leaders extend.

You've got a lot going on at the top union. Is this what you want to carve and clean up? It's a little late to be introducing big wounds in your area, but you can clean up deadwood anytime.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Nice tree, few thoughts to your Qs:

Lower branches are almost as thick as your strongest leader, but you don't necessarily need to cut off and start over. You can control how thick these get by cutting vs. letting leaders extend.

You've got a lot going on at the top union. Is this what you want to carve and clean up? It's a little late to be introducing big wounds in your area, but you can clean up deadwood anytime.

I thought late fall would be ok to prune off some of the branches on top and notch cut the 2 lower branches if I decided to keep them. I guess you are saying that would be early Spring stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought late fall would be ok to prune off some of the branches on top and notch cut the 2 lower branches if I decided to keep them. I guess you are saying that would be early Spring stuff.
All that is fine, yes.

Was more referring to carving - opening a large trunk wound up top.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Area in red looks like an old chop that died back. Can probably nibble that away safely with small concave cutters.

The blue circle is live tissue, and I think the highlighted branch is where you're heading with next leader?

Getting this transition setup will make the rest of your vision easier.

I tend to do this work in the late spring because it can open up large wounds. Getting rid of the red wedge will tell you more.

Inkedswamp_LI.jpg

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Area in red looks like an old chop that died back. Can probably nibble that away safely with small concave cutters.

The blue circle is live tissue, and I think the highlighted branch is where you're heading with next leader?

Getting this transition setup will make the rest of your vision easier.

I tend to do this work in the late spring because it can open up large wounds. Getting rid of the red wedge will tell you more.

View attachment 397111
Thank you for the advice! Really appreciate it.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Just an update on this guy. Did some light styling and thinned it out a bit. Not growing as vigorous as I hoped but I think it is due for a repot. Probably do that next Spring. I think the last image will be the new front when I repot. All suggestions welcome.20220510_123921.jpg20220510_123907.jpg20220510_123853.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be me, but half of the trunk looks like it may be dead?

Also, your soil mix is far too lean for good growth on this. The roots need constant moisture. I've been using a mix of 70/30 potting soil (yes, regular out of the bag potting soil or even garden center topsoil) and regular bonsai soil. Been using it for 20 years. Haven't had an issue.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agreed... when did it loose the bark on the lower portion... Does it extend around the entire trunk?

Also... lots of roots protruding from the bottom of the pot.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
I normally keep the entire pot in a plastic bin filled with water. It has been dipping into the 40's here in DC so I was going to wait until the temp swings regulated before I did that. I don't think that any part of the trunk is dead as I have been pulling out little useless buds from around the entire tree.......although the branch to the left is not doing much🤔.20220510_132352.jpg20220510_132342.jpg20220510_132331.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Also, your soil mix is far too lean for good growth on this. The roots need constant moisture. I've been using a mix of 70/30 potting soil (yes, regular out of the bag potting soil or even garden center topsoil) and regular bonsai soil. Been using it for 20 years. Haven't had an issue.
I was going to say the same thing. My BCs are currently in composted manure (Yes the cheapest thing at the big box store) as long as they are in build up mode. I won't switch to bonsai soil until I get to refining phase.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. My BCs are currently in composted manure (Yes the cheapest thing at the big box store) as long as they are in build up mode. I won't switch to bonsai soil until I get to refining phase.
I an happy with the size of the trunk and wanted to start refining the branches so that is why I put it bonsai soil.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It lost the bark when I first purchased the tree. Came right off.
The bark in the bottom is going to come back in a few years. I have peeled off the top layers of the bark on BC and get them to look like that before.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
The bark in the bottom is going to come back in a few years. I have peeled off the top layers of the bark on BC and get them to look like that before.
That is what I thought so I wasn't too concerned. I have seen your trees and they are all amazing. I have very limited space and too many damn trees to grow the monsters you have. Would be nice though. Probably have to sell my cars and turn the drive way into a nursery, quit my job and become a hermit. I am hatching a plan to sneak some of my trees into the DC Arboretum and have them take care of it unknowingly. Going to put it right next to this guy. Photo was taken this past Sunday.20220508_113043.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is what I thought so I wasn't too concerned. I have seen your trees and they are all amazing. I have very limited space and too many damn trees to grow the monsters you have. Would be nice though. Probably have to sell my cars and turn the drive way into a nursery, quit my job and become a hermit. I am hatching a plan to sneak some of my trees into the DC Arboretum and have them take care of it unknowingly. Going to put it right next to this guy. Photo was taken this past Sunday.View attachment 435238
Still needs a richer soil. would help in many ways...

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
I use a deciduous blend from Meehan's, our local bonsai nursery. It has a fair amount of organics in it, not just lava, pumice, akadama. Maybe I will cut it with potting soil next year when I do the repot.
Hey! You are from VA. Are you familiar with the soil from them? They have a coniferous blend and a deciduous/tropical blend and can usually be found at plant nurseries. I get mine from Wolftrap Nursery when I do not feel like driving all the way out to Meehan's.

Top Bottom