Swampadori Oak

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Here's a willow oak after its second year since collection.
The trunk and nebari are ok, or will be if I can believably carve the chop area, but branch work will still take a few years.

Attachments

• Pc200454a.jpg
    Pc200454a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Pc200456a.jpg
    Pc200456a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Pc200455a.jpg
    Pc200455a.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 177

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay,

Nice looking piece of stock.

The chop area you speak of, is it the one on the left trunk in the first photo?

If so, I think you can make a believeable uro from that cut area.

Good luck,
Paul

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Cool tree, I wouldn't mind having something like that to develop.

Jason

Widgeon

Seedling
Reaction score
Jay, nice tree. Please keep us posted on the development of this tree.
Tony

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Paul, and thanks.
Yes, thats the place I'm refering to. Carving is one area in bonsai craft I've yet to venture into. I plan on placing an order with Dale C. after the holidays for some bits.

Thanks Tony and Jason. It is fairly nice stock.... Hope I can make something from it someday (besides firewood!)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Jay! Sweet oak, so glad you are looking for and finding local trees. I am sure you have plenty of opportunity in your area. Would love to see this tree and you at a workshop next year. The club has been doing several meetings a year at my warehouse trying to do more hands on stuff. It's a bring your own tree thing and this would be very fun to see. You are always welcome - PM me for address.

Have a great Holiday season Mr. Bonsai Hermit!

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Graydon,
Thanks! Except for a couple of citrus, everything I have is very local, lol.
All of my 40 or 50 trees were collected within 600 feet of the house.

I hope to be a bit less of a hermit this year so maybe I'll get to a workshop or two.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Update

Since it's been three and a half years since the last pics, I thought I'd post an update on this tree.

All my poor trees have been kind of neglected the last couple of years... They were lucky to get watered, much less fertilized, trimmed , etc.

Here are a few pictures.

First: Today after a serious trim.

Second: Front after defoliating.
Third: Left side.
Last: Back (or front?)

It's coming along and starting to show some potential.

Attachments

• P4111211.jpg
    P4111211.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P4111212.jpg
    P4111212.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 94
  • P4111214.jpg
    P4111214.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 83
  • P4111215.jpg
    P4111215.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 85

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Looking good! You're doing nice work on good material.

Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Extremely nice tree. I'd like to see more willow oak as bonsai. They're probably the best eastern oak for it.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you Paul and Mark.

I agree that willow oak is one of the best eastern oaks for bonsai. Some of the ones I have seem to have benefited from the neglect of the last couple of years. Only thing is, they have gotten a bit leggy and I'm having to prune out some pretty good twigging in order to bring the limbs back in proportion to the trunk.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right back atcha, Jay. I've got these long, strong shoots on my willow oak that have me eager to get to work on it, and after seeing your shots it's going to happen soon.

Zach

Last edited:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay,

I'm curious about how and when (relative to the stage that the tree was in, not the month) you collected this oak. Would you mind sharing?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
really great job there Jay .... I can't see a side I don't like :) :) ...... the subtrunking on this is fantastic and really gives the feel of a mature tree.... this is fantastic material and you are doing a splendid job..... I look forward to seeing it many times again as it progresses

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Jay,

I'm curious about how and when (relative to the stage that the tree was in, not the month) you collected this oak. Would you mind sharing?

daygan,
The best I can remember, I had worked on this tree for two or three years by trunk chopping, limb trimming and root pruning while the tree was still in the ground where found.
Here's a picture that I think was taken when first collected and potted. Notice the deep box to accommodate the tap root. Hope this answers you question.

Attachments

• P9080155.jpg
    P9080155.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 36

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
really great job there Jay .... I can't see a side I don't like :) :) ...... the subtrunking on this is fantastic and really gives the feel of a mature tree.... this is fantastic material and you are doing a splendid job..... I look forward to seeing it many times again as it progresses

Thank you.
I didn't post a pic of the last side... Had I done so, you might see a side you don't like as well.:D
I think a few more years with some nebari work and as the bark ages on the trunk and the twigging gets finer..........

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes - you answered everything I asked and even some things that I didn't ask but was wondering. Thanks! Great tree, and great work on your part!

Top Bottom