Sweet find have to share

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I returned to the hobby last year after being away from it for 8 years, logistics and moves. I am getting in to full swing this year though and I had to share this find.

I love to collect yamadori. Where I live now is on an Island in Eastern Canada. I have been here since '08. Well I realized a few years ago that a.) there is nobody here who is into bonsai, and b.) there are Eastern White Pine and Red Pine growing in the ditches. Everywhere. It's crazy and AWESOME!

The mowers for the ditches here are huge as it is almost ALL food growing agricultural rural. I have been finding both species with awesome twists and turns having been trunk chopped multiple times. I was scouting out a bunch of Red Pine in a ditch and just loving it when I almost stepped on this. I will not do anything to it beyond what you see as it is...Yamadori Pine. Prune as little as possible and pot in a suitable pine mix let grow for a a couple of seasons and take it from there. This little guy has a 3/4 inch thick trunk at the base (ignore the nasty sticking up wire, I had to put some plastic tape under it to protect the nebari as it is soft) and is about 8 inches tall or so. It will make an outstanding shohin specimen in the years to come after training (if it lives, but I didn't have to take any root off-I lifted it soil and all with one scoop with my big shovel SCOOOOP! :p). Right now of course it looks like a waking up all night bender hairdo!

I am still amazed at its awesome little rootball it has and that it went into this plastic training pot with room to spare. Golden Bonsai collecting moment

redpshohinyama06123.jpg

redpshohinyama06122.jpg

redpshohinyama06124.jpg

redpshohinyama06121.jpg

redpshohinyama06125.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice little tree! Just watch your watering in that soil.

You do have it outside right (I always have to ask :p)?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yes! it is outside along with the rest of the ones I got from that ditch. I got a few more of these Shohin potensai Yamadori

Top Bottom