Sweet gum and Unknown

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Went scouting for some material to dig in the spring at a spot that I knew might have something and here's what I found-at least pictured.

A sweetgum that has a fox hole,great bark, and a good flare under the soil-It will be slightly larger tree down the road due leaf size.
IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG

Then there was this guy but I'm not sure what it is- i'm thinking a wild cherry or something but am unsure. It has a crazy good flare under the soil but not sure the species, and if it worth my time-not the best pics but you get the idea lol
IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4787.JPG IMG_4788.JPG IMG_4789.JPG

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say cherry is a pretty good guess, based on that bark and leaf.

Hey, be careful with that sweetgum, that might be poison ivy snaking up that trunk...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Birch tree maybe?

I don't think has the bark is not right for something this big

I'd say cherry is a pretty good guess, based on that bark and leaf.

Hey, be careful with that sweetgum, that might be poison ivy snaking up that trunk...

Yeah I saw that but I'm immune, or at least resistant- I can handle it and nothing happens-no rash or anything

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second tree is definitely a fruiting tree of some kind.
Looks like a cherry or plum.
Nice finds!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

SGF

Seedling
Reaction score
I would say wild cherry, you can identify the fungus on the leaves to be certain.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Second on is a cherry.

On the sweetgum, they make VG bonsai. I'd suggest chopping this on just above the first branch now, then let it grow in pace next summer, then tig it up next winter. They are very hard to get any taper in them in a pot.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Second on is a cherry.

On the sweetgum, they make VG bonsai. I'd suggest chopping this on just above the first branch now, then let it grow in pace next summer, then tig it up next winter. They are very hard to get any taper in them in a pot.

I tend to shy away from big chops in winter-even though it's almost 80 tomorrow- The plan is to chop it and dig it in spring, then it'll be going either in Anderson flat or the raised beds

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apologies for all the typos. My fingers have gone on strike these days.

Yeah...no worries.....
We'll just send Nwaite down to type for you! Lol!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Apologies for all the typos. My fingers have gone on strike these days.

have you seen some of the posts I've done from my phone?! reads like I drank 10 beers first

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
have you seen some of the posts I've done from my phone?! reads like I drank 10 beers first
On my phone, usually when I type any punctuation, it deletes the last letter of the word and replaces it with the punctuation mark. If I back space and type it again, it goes in normally. Haven't noticed the issue on my tablet.

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
Giga it is fun looking for Stuff.

Top Bottom