Sweet Gum Maple Bonsai Help

Cianz

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I've had a Sweet Gum for almost 6 months now and for the first time it's not looking the best. I have a rough idea what it could possibly be but would rather some help from people who know more than me.
It has bene fine for ages but now mos tleaves have white spots and some are now starting to turn black, shrivel up and die/fall off.
Any idea what it could be and how do I fix it?

(it's indoors which is heated as it is winter time. Make me think it's the winter part that's doing it)

I water regularly with distilled water when the soil is dry in a soak and drip drain kind of method.

Here are some photosIMG_20210721_073149.jpgIMG_20210719_191354.jpgIMG_20210719_191339.jpgIMG_20210719_191328.jpg
IMG_20210719_191351.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it could have scale. More importantly, are you keeping this plant inside or out?
Distilled water is a terrible idea. If you must use bottled water use spring water.
Sweet Gum is not a maple.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like it could have scale. More importantly, are you keeping this plant inside or out?
Distilled water is a terrible idea. If you must use bottled water use spring water.
Everything i was going to say/ask. 🤓

Cianz

Seedling
Reaction score
Everything i was going to say/ask. 🤓
Yeah it's inside. It's really cold and windy these days, plus I wanted an indoor plant. I was going to move it outside in the spring time.

Oh didn't realise distilled water was bad. Why is it bad?

What do I do for scale?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is an outdoors plant that needs dormancy and that is why its dying. I am amazed you have been able to keep it that long. Can't say more until we know where you are located.

Cianz

Seedling
Reaction score
It is an outdoors plant that needs dormancy and that is why its dying. I am amazed you have been able to keep it that long. Can't say more until we know where you are located.
Even in the cold temps you think it'll be better for it right now?
I'm from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even in the cold temps you think it'll be better for it right now?
I'm from Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Don't know. I do know it should never have been inside even for one week. Best find out from someone in your neck of the woods.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local. According to WeatherSpark it gets all the way down to 43° on the coldest day of the year, July 23rd. If you found the plant outside in Melborne, then it probably must stay outdoors in what passes for winter there, such as it is. That is a rule of thumb that separates "houseplants" which are almost always tropicals and "hardy" plants that cannot stay indoors over the quiet or rest season.

<<<<< It will show here.

Cianz

Seedling
Reaction score
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local. According to WeatherSpark it gets all the way down to 43° on the coldest day of the year, July 23rd. If you found the plant outside in Melborne, then it probably must stay outdoors in what passes for winter there, such as it is. That is a rule of thumb that separates "houseplants" which are almost always tropicals and "hardy" plants that cannot stay indoors over the quiet or rest season.

<<<<< It will show here.
Yeah these days it's around 0 - 12 degrees celcius every day.
It was given to me as a gift last Christmas so I have no idea where it was found.

I'll try put it outside and see how it goes I guess

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think Fredman is a Kiwi?

Melbourne rarely gets below freezing. 'Cold' for them is under 10 C
All temperate plants, including liquidamber, are fine outside in Australia right through the year. Night temps get down as low as -5 C up here and all my bonsai except for ficus live out in the open all year round. These trees come form places with much colder winters than we have so they are adapted to cope with cold.

I would get this one outside now so it can have a much needed sleep for what is left of the winter and hope that it is not too far gone to wake up in the spring.

If you want an indoor bonsai look for a ficus. They are mostly rainforest trees so are adapted to low light and warm temps like we have in our houses. A native Ficus rubiginosa is really good as bonsai and will cope with indoors. You can also get those ugly fat root Ginseng figs at most nurseries that stock a few bonsai and occasionally at Aldi supermarket. They will also cope with indoor conditions.

The white patches look like scale. If you can lift them off with a fingernail or such that would confirm scale. They are sap sucking insects that build a protective shell to hide under. Horticultural oils are usually used to treat scale. EcoOil is one that is available at most nurseries and quite safe to use.

Cianz

Seedling
Reaction score
I think Fredman is a Kiwi?

Melbourne rarely gets below freezing. 'Cold' for them is under 10 C
All temperate plants, including liquidamber, are fine outside in Australia right through the year. Night temps get down as low as -5 C up here and all my bonsai except for ficus live out in the open all year round. These trees come form places with much colder winters than we have so they are adapted to cope with cold.

I would get this one outside now so it can have a much needed sleep for what is left of the winter and hope that it is not too far gone to wake up in the spring.

If you want an indoor bonsai look for a ficus. They are mostly rainforest trees so are adapted to low light and warm temps like we have in our houses. A native Ficus rubiginosa is really good as bonsai and will cope with indoors. You can also get those ugly fat root Ginseng figs at most nurseries that stock a few bonsai and occasionally at Aldi supermarket. They will also cope with indoor conditions.

The white patches look like scale. If you can lift them off with a fingernail or such that would confirm scale. They are sap sucking insects that build a protective shell to hide under. Horticultural oils are usually used to treat scale. EcoOil is one that is available at most nurseries and quite safe to use.
Thank you this was very helpful. Already moved it outside now.

Top Bottom