Sweetgum- Liquidambar

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, I’m a sucker for decent trunks and roots. I field collected a bunch of Sweetgum that were being removed and destroyed, mostly because I love the bark on the trunks. I collected these bare root and abused in January and February, thinking they would die. As of now....they haven’t.....so.....thoughts?
C907EEA2-E146-4ACD-ABAC-CA3C0F038CE9.jpeg09DC67F1-7A46-4282-ADAF-44DD8B36C347.jpegDFD71CE1-FF37-41F5-8011-A14D56DD2AEF.jpeg89E3979A-0B0A-4A92-85A7-EFEF25F7EC76.jpeg470A0A2E-9F1E-477F-B2FD-ABFF2D442933.jpeg288C4234-5B15-4C08-8E54-E9B1DD16744F.jpeg88D214EC-2D6B-4FF7-A0DC-DC0E4B3C11DA.jpeg20AE1024-CBEF-4B01-9715-7840A38AA2CA.jpegBD92A74B-F94F-4633-B7E9-611FD584F0ED.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Don't let a few small shoots lull you into a false sense of security. Lots of collected trees will shoot using the resources stored in the trunk but without new roots they eventually wilt and die.
I have had no problem collecting liquidamber so thought that they would all be easy but someone on here corrected me and said American sweetgum is notoriously difficult?
Good luck with these. I have my fingers crossed for your trees.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Leo said...let them grow this year. They look good so far but I've seen logs that were cut one fall sprout the next spring just using stored energy.

I've never collected sweetgum but do have one in my growing bed that I will need to dig soon (next spring probably). I have one that has been grown as a bonsai for many years and have found it to be a difficult subject for 2 reasons: (1) large leaves and (2) a tendency for twigs and branches to die back for no identifiable reason. Others have said they have trouble with random branch die back too. For me, that's part of the reason I've been unable to reduce leaf size - I haven't been able to build enough branching/twigging. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience and thoughts to share regarding American sweetgum as bonsai.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't let a few small shoots lull you into a false sense of security. Lots of collected trees will shoot using the resources stored in the trunk but without new roots they eventually wilt and die.
I have had no problem collecting liquidamber so thought that they would all be easy but someone on here corrected me and said American sweetgum is notoriously difficult?
Good luck with these. I have my fingers crossed for your trees.
Thank you! Me too. I’m just letting them grow this year.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing to do with these this year except let them grow. You will know how successful you were next year, see what is still alive summer 2021. Just let them grow.
Yep, I’m just letting them grow this year. I’m not touching, wiring, pruning, nothing.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those look like they may have made it. I have collected a few sweetgum, and as others said they sent shoots out with stored energy and then failed. If I remember correctly Zach Smith bonsai has a few articles on them, you should look his website up

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Those look like they may have made it. I have collected a few sweetgum, and as others said they sent shoots out with stored energy and then failed. If I remember correctly Zach Smith bonsai has a few articles on them, you should look his website up
I’m looking at that now. As others said, I’m just letting these guys grow out this year. I’ll start working on them next year, but I’m just happy at where they are at this time. I collected them in early spring/late winter, which I’ve read is the absolute worst time to do it, but I haven’t lost any of them (I have a few more, didn’t want to spam too many images).

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They should be good, they rolling out. They will all be nice specimens. Nothing like learning on your own, that way you gain experience as you go. I like to call it putting tools in your tool box. Before long you will have many tools. Good luck 🍀

Top Bottom