Sweetgum Work

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did some work on my sweetgum today. I got this tree from Zach at Bonsai South last summer and did nothing with it but let it grow. Today I wired it, reduced the roots and repotted. This is the first time I've worked any tree this hard before, so, I have my fingers crossed that I didn't kill the thing.

After taking the photos, I put the tree back into winter storage in case we get another arctic blast and mulched it for insulation.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• sweetgum overhead march 15 13.jpg
    sweetgum overhead march 15 13.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 52
  • sweetgum front march 15 13.jpg
    sweetgum front march 15 13.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 81

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm excited to see how this progresses. These grow near me and I have a few small ones that I've collected and am growing out now. I actually took one of the smaller ones and wrapped wire around the base in order to induce some nice base flare while layering. I'm treating them more as learning/project trees, but they do have potential to be very pretty trees.

The fall colors are beautiful and yours seems to have short internodes for the species. Good Luck!

Last edited:

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm afraid that this tree didn't make it through winter. I've got one bud that broke on the trunk below all of the branches. All branches appear to be dead. I will wait it out and see if any more buds break or if I am wrong about the branches, but sadly, I am not optimistic.

Top Bottom