Swindon winter image show uk

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm with you.

This tree is, by far, the most interesting deciduous for me - it really grabs me! :D:cool: But it is potted too far off-center (that really upsets me and not in a good way) - SAD! ;)

20170226_114103-jpg.133903
I really like that tree too

Reaction score
I'm with you.

This tree is, by far, the most interesting deciduous for me - it really grabs me! :D:cool: But it is potted too far off-center (that really upsets me and not in a good way) - SAD! ;)

20170226_114103-jpg.133903

The composition would be nicer as a whole if the pot was smaller on the right yeah.
And maybe the lowest branch a bit lower facing upwards and that down growing branches removed/repositioned.
But hey, imma sucker for not down pointing branches if ya know what I mean

It's better than like my whole garden so time to shut it I guess :p

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mark and Ritta were kind enough to reply to my request for more information on their shohin zelkova:

To be candid Greg, there’s not a long or particularly interesting story to the broom style shohin Zelkova (Keyaki) of ours. But what can I tell you? …….

We bought the tree ten years ago as a Japanese import. The tree was already a good shohin then and the “bones” (the main structure) of the tree were very much there from that point. All that Ritta and I have done over the last ten years is to :-
· grow it carefully
· prune it to shape, and to improve the structure
· wire a few branches to lower them
· defoliate, or leaf thin it to let air and light in (this is critical as you know for any densely ramified deciduous tree) so as not to lose twigs/ branches and to increase and improve the ramification
· of course the trunk and nebari have developed too over that time due to age and good technique when repotting
· change the pot(s) over this period. The pot it is now is an old Koyo pot, made by Aiba San, the father.

We have just a few photos of the tree and its history

It’s basically been a case of good technique being applied religiously and consistently over long period of time. That’s the only secret I know to develop well ramified deciduous trees! So nothing special or secret to share J

You will see Keyaki like this in some of the top shohin shows in Japan like Shuga ten held every November in Ueno, Tokyo, and in Gafu ten the premier shohin show held in Kyoto every January. To find one to buy isn’t easy, but not impossible.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Mark and Ritta were kind enough to reply to my request for more information on their shohin zelkova:

To be candid Greg, there’s not a long or particularly interesting story to the broom style shohin Zelkova (Keyaki) of ours. But what can I tell you? …….

We bought the tree ten years ago as a Japanese import. The tree was already a good shohin then and the “bones” (the main structure) of the tree were very much there from that point. All that Ritta and I have done over the last ten years is to :-
· grow it carefully
· prune it to shape, and to improve the structure
· wire a few branches to lower them
· defoliate, or leaf thin it to let air and light in (this is critical as you know for any densely ramified deciduous tree) so as not to lose twigs/ branches and to increase and improve the ramification
· of course the trunk and nebari have developed too over that time due to age and good technique when repotting
· change the pot(s) over this period. The pot it is now is an old Koyo pot, made by Aiba San, the father.

We have just a few photos of the tree and its history

It’s basically been a case of good technique being applied religiously and consistently over long period of time. That’s the only secret I know to develop well ramified deciduous trees! So nothing special or secret to share J

You will see Keyaki like this in some of the top shohin shows in Japan like Shuga ten held every November in Ueno, Tokyo, and in Gafu ten the premier shohin show held in Kyoto every January. To find one to buy isn’t easy, but not impossible.
Thanks for getting hold of them and posting there story.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One other exchange that we had that I think people might find interesting:

BN: My other question involves zelkova leaf size. I have not seen a zelkova this small with such fine ramification. Do the larger leaves (compared to Chinese elm) cause you trouble? In general, how do you time your defoliation / leaf thinning?

Mark: No problems. There us the possibility / probability that most shohin tree varieties are carefully selected for their small leaves, short internodes or autumn colour ..... in the west we think that all zelkova Serrata are botanically and genetically identical....I severely doubt that. It's the same I think for many of the varieties selected for shohin and mame.

I usually start to think about thinning as soon as the tree is active growth and the leaves are starting to harden

Cork bark Chinese elms do well for us also, but aggressive and regular thinning is required to prevent loss of the fine twiggery

Top Bottom