Swiss pine (pinus Cembra)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found this Swiss pine at a local nursery. The owner said it was an expensive tree, but it had sat unsold so long he discounted for me. I looked up Pinus Cembra and the only person I saw using it was Walter Pall. From what I gather it should be treated like Japanese white pine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 97

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like, it it looks like it has a lot of potential. What are your plans for it at this point?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I got it home I pulled it out of the pot and dusted the outer rootball with some mycorrhizal powder I have. I have no idea if it makes a difference in the health of the plant really, but I figure it can't hurt. I applied some Holly Tone to the surface after I slipped it back in the pot. The needles are a little pale, so hopefully the fertilizer plus letting it dry out more will green it up. I don't know anything much about pines, so trying to get it to peak health is my main priority. I'd like to change half the soil next year, then the rest the next year.

I have tons of bar branches all over the plant and whorls near the apex that I want to deal with, but I'm not sure how much I should be chopping off of it right now. Plus I'm trying to determine how tall I'd like the final image to be. Something about 10-12 inches seems about right. The branches are all very flexible, even the lower ones which are about pencil thick.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd just study it until spring.

Do I see a big, fat root in that second photo (the only one I looked at; the others were sideways)? What's the base like?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll try to get a better picture of the base tomorrow. It mainly goes to one side with a smaller root jutting out of the opposite side. Not sure if anything spreads out below these as I didn't want to disturb the roots at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 69

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That'll be OK, but it pretty well dictates where the front will be . . .

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Either that's the back or the front. Either side is workable considering the branch placement. There aren't any eye pokers until you get further into what is the current apex.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think this could be a really nice tree. My first step come spring would be to repot. Get it into a pond basket with good substrate. Once you get a better idea of what the roots look like you will be able plan for the trees future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom