Sylvestris sport (witches broom)?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
I expect these are common on Sylvestris looking on this forum. Assuming this is a Sylvestris. I haven't got close enough for my limited ID abilities to find out yet ha ha ha.

Top left of the image, what do you guys think? Are the odds good based on the location of the mass. Do sports even have proclivety? I know it's a bit grainy there. I took this picture from the estate road here (Scotland) recently.

Will be going back to ground level soon beneath the tree to see.

I should get to inspect the mass itself soon too :)

Attachments

• 20180614_151339.jpg
    20180614_151339.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 84

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I expect these are common on Sylvestris looking on this forum. Assuming this is a Sylvestris. I haven't got close enough for my limited ID abilities to find out yet ha ha ha.

Top left of the image, what do you guys think? Are the odds good based on the location of the mass. Do sports even have proclivety? I know it's a bit grainy there. I took this picture from the estate road here (Scotland) recently.

Will be going back to ground level soon beneath the tree to see.

I should get to inspect the mass itself soon too :)
There are several varieties of Scots Pine that have been cloned from "witches brooms" like this. One that's relatively common in bonsai is Pinus Sylvestris "Beauvronensis" This mutation occurs on a lot of stuff. Blue star juniperis another conifer variety that was developed from one.

Dwarf conifers from witches broom--resting places for witches, dwarves and elves back in the day ;-)
http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1967-27--dwarf-conifers-from-witches-brooms.pdf

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
There are several varieties of Scots Pine that have been cloned from "witches brooms" like this. One that's relatively common in bonsai is Pinus Sylvestris "Beauvronensis" This mutation occurs on a lot of stuff. Blue star juniperis another conifer variety that was developed from one.

Dwarf conifers from witches broom--resting places for witches, dwarves and elves back in the day ;-)
http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1967-27--dwarf-conifers-from-witches-brooms.pdf

What an interesting paper. I didn't realise that there was a possibility of cultivation from the seeds of these sports. Thanks for sharing :)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a very large witches broom near the top of an Eastern White Pine. Very large. Very dense. It’s been with me for many years. I figured it would topple in an ice storm. No chance. Birds won’t even come close to it. Squirrels don’t even attempt to climb that tree. I think it provides a protective pulse to the area....emitting an invisible vibronic signature wave. I don’t tamper with it at all.....I think tampering with it would be like crossing the laser beams in the Ghostbusters movie. I just admire it as my own prized Witches Broom.

Top Bottom