Systemic pesticides

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
I had some problems last year with some type of borer eating the cambium layer on some of my oaks and maples. I also had some disease problems on oaks, elms and maples.

Has anyone any experience or recommendations with the type of systemic product that is applied to the soil and gives longer term protection. I'm just not good at following a weekly spray program.

Thanks,

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jay, one of the ones I use is bonide's systemic insecticide. It works well no fuss no muss.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Its pretty simple and straight forward Rick. Its a 30 day program that I start here at the beginning of April and continue through October. Its a granulated product thats applied at about one teaspoon per square foot if memory serves. I also coordinate 2 sprayings with it in in April to make sure that the lil beasties don't get a foot hold. In August when the Japanese beetles swarm I also incorporate some Sevin with it which seems to help.

A side note to this. On Crabs and Cherries I have found that in certain years a need to supplement the systemic more often with a spray. I been told several reasons why this is needed and I don't believe any of them. Since my view is that the reasons are hog wash I won't elaborate them here and waste your time.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Tom
I can't seem to find any bonide dealers near me. I can find some of the bayer products but they are not labeled for container plants. Guess I'll do some experimenting this year.

Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Tom
I can't seem to find any bonide dealers near me. I can find some of the bayer products but they are not labeled for container plants. Guess I'll do some experimenting this year.

Contact Joanie the mod at BT. She has been using the Bayer for a couple of years, with success. She sent me a PM with info (below) and I had asked her for an update in the early winter, but I got no response. I did apply some Bayer 12 Month Tree & Shrub Control (liquid so my dog wouldn't eat it off the surface) to about 6 trees in about November - all different species as a test - and none have rolled over dead yet. If you find out more, please let us know.

Hi Rich! I am currently using a Bayer product, it's the systemic for trees and shrubs. I'll look at the label today and let you know exactly which one. I have used it on all of the trees in Ted's collection, including elms, apricots, junipers, pines, maples, tropicals like ficus... he has a large variety of trees. Application is by mixing into a gallon of water, I think that we use 3 tablespoons per gallon but I'll check my notes. Apply to the soil around the active root zone. We apply about every three months. It washed out of the soil pretty quickly in a bonsai situation. We started applying as soon as I started working for him, in fact that was one of my first jobs, so it's been about eight or nine months and several applications so far. He has used the product in the past, but he is almost blind so can't do it himself any more.

It has worked as far as I can tell. I go again today, and will be checking for aphids and thrips in particular. I wasn't happy with the thrips, they developed on the ficus when the tree should have been protected, but they got another dose a couple of weeks ago.

It does take a while to get into the tree's system, so you do have to spray as well if you have a problem. Collected trees may not have enough active roots to uptake it? It does have a mild, low number fertilizer. Ted also uses Osmocote on his trees (which I don't like, but it's easy and that's his choice) and the mild fert in the Bayer isn't a problem combined with the Osmocote.

I had some initial misgivings about applying it to the elms, since I had read that they don't like systemics, but Ted said that he had used it before and told me to go ahead. So far, no adverse effects. Everything looks very good.

Hope this helps! I'm no expert, and haven't had long-term experience, but from what I have seen it is good and effective. We haven't had any problems except the thrips, in nine months. And the grapes and mumes haven't yet developed spotty leaves. Here's hoping....

Joanie

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Jay

Nice to see you around you bonsai hermit!

I have been using the Bayer systemic stuff for a season and they seem to do the job. Got them locally to us at Lowe's. They have both a granular type and a hose end applicator type (or they did last season). I still have some of the hose end stuff around so if you want to give it a try let me know and you can use it.

By the way how is that elm forest you have been working on?

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
I started using the Bayer Systemic Grandular last year and have yet to see any bugs on my trees. They avoid them like the plague...........so far.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the info.
Next time I wade out of the swamp, I'll pick up some and give it a shot.

Graydon, The elm forest is still alive......I ordered a pot for it last night so I'll post an update in a week or two.

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Contact Joanie the mod at BT. She has been using the Bayer for a couple of years, with success. She sent me a PM with info (below) and I had asked her for an update in the early winter, but I got no response. I did apply some Bayer 12 Month Tree & Shrub Control (liquid so my dog wouldn't eat it off the surface) to about 6 trees in about November - all different species as a test - and none have rolled over dead yet. If you find out more, please let us know.

Hi Rich! I am currently using a Bayer product, it's the systemic for trees and shrubs. I'll look at the label today and let you know exactly which one. I have used it on all of the trees in Ted's collection, including elms, apricots, junipers, pines, maples, tropicals like ficus... he has a large variety of trees. Application is by mixing into a gallon of water, I think that we use 3 tablespoons per gallon but I'll check my notes. Apply to the soil around the active root zone. We apply about every three months. It washed out of the soil pretty quickly in a bonsai situation. We started applying as soon as I started working for him, in fact that was one of my first jobs, so it's been about eight or nine months and several applications so far. He has used the product in the past, but he is almost blind so can't do it himself any more.

It has worked as far as I can tell. I go again today, and will be checking for aphids and thrips in particular. I wasn't happy with the thrips, they developed on the ficus when the tree should have been protected, but they got another dose a couple of weeks ago.

It does take a while to get into the tree's system, so you do have to spray as well if you have a problem. Collected trees may not have enough active roots to uptake it? It does have a mild, low number fertilizer. Ted also uses Osmocote on his trees (which I don't like, but it's easy and that's his choice) and the mild fert in the Bayer isn't a problem combined with the Osmocote.

I had some initial misgivings about applying it to the elms, since I had read that they don't like systemics, but Ted said that he had used it before and told me to go ahead. So far, no adverse effects. Everything looks very good.

Hope this helps! I'm no expert, and haven't had long-term experience, but from what I have seen it is good and effective. We haven't had any problems except the thrips, in nine months. And the grapes and mumes haven't yet developed spotty leaves. Here's hoping....

Joanie
Is 3 tablespoons per gallon still correct dosage? I can't find any information on bonsai application of this chemical

Top Bottom