Systemic pesticides

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any recs on one of these to use? The ones I've seen thus far also contain a fertilizer.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. So that eliminates any need for prophylactic spraying monthly? Interestingly Collin Lewis mentions in one of his books that Chinese elm don't do well with systemics.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still spray fungicide when conditions warrant it in the spring. And I also spray a insecticidal soap if I see anything that is swarming at a particular time, like cottony scale insects. I use systemic on my elms with no prob.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have been using Bayer Advanced 12 month tree and shrub insect control II at the rate of 5 tsp per gallon.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So you still fertilize normally even though Bayer contains fertilizer?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So you still fertilize normally even though Bayer contains fertilizer?

I've used it in the past. I fertilize using 20-20-20 fertilizer at full strength. The PNK of the Bayer product is 2-1-1. I was never concerned with the little bit of extra fertilizer it contained.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried to minimize my use of systemics when my plants are outside. I've always worried about poisoning the sucking bugs, then subsequently poisoning the predatory bugs, thereby putting more of my trees (and maybe the local birds) at risk. Does that concern anyone else, or am I over thinking this?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes of course it's a concern. But the footprint we are talking about here is pretty small. On our 15 acres, I don't use any pesticides, or herbicides, and grow all organically. The bonsai is such a small impact, that I don't worry about it. And with the amount of investment into the trees, I can't really see doing it any other way. The bees don't pay any attention to the bonsai, as there is so much more for them around to eat, (I grow lots of comfrey for attracting them all summer) and the few bugs that die are generally not eaten by birds, as they rarely come around the trees as there again, is so much better foraging than there is around the trees.

And the results have been pretty amazing since I started using it. If the results were not so good, then I'd rethink the usage.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Judy How often do you apply systemics and in what seasons? Also, any problems with these and pines or junipers?

Do you also use supplements with silicone to improve resistant to diseases/insects/pathogens?

Thanks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I apply this once a year in the spring. It's a 12 month control. I use this on everything with no problems. In the very hottest months I'll use Pro-tek, the dyna-gro silicone supplement along with my regular regimen, about every other week.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Uh folks, pesticide is a substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals. It is the overall term for many specific "cides" such as herbicides for killing plants or insecticides for killing bugs or miticides for killing mites, etc.

My question is what specific systemic pesticide are you looking for?

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have a good answer other than 'laziness' and being too busy to keep up with prophylactic spraying. Anything I can prophylactically kill by applying once a year sounds good to me. As long as it does not disrupt and kill the good bugs. ;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just sprayed mine with Bayer Advanced Insect,Disease and Mite control formula. All I know is it works and I spray it on everything.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is liquid. The bottle hooks onto the hose and has a built in sprayer.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While we are discussing pesticides, I was reading about vine weevil larvae and treating the soil with predatory nematodes. Has anyone unfortunately had to deal with these nasty larvae and successfully treated them with the nematodes or something else? Do the nematodes cause any potential problems themselves?

Aren't there parasites/nematodes in Florida and the tropics that cause their own problems? Maybe, Bonsai Jack here or Sawgrass can chime in.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Malathion - soak the top of the soil and water it though...

Grimmy

Top Bottom