T. J. Klein’s 7 parameters to properly interpret bonsai info from the internet

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Everything I’m going to tell you tonight is not true. At least, not always true." He says to ajust each of these parameters when you read of hear bonsai information, like when you use an equalizer to adjust music. I thought it was a great image.

1. Age of the tree. The younger the more malleable.
2. Development stage. If you want to build up the trunk, don’t use refinement techniques.
3. Variety. Even between pines (species, grafted or not, etc.), fe, the techniques vary considerably.
4. Quality of the soil. You can only reduce the foliage a lot if you have free-draining soil, so you won’t risk drowning the tree.
5. Health. Only healthy trees can react to bonsai techniques.
6. Season. It is better to think about tree seasons than calendar seasons.
7. Climate. Certain operations need certain climatic conditions to be successful (ex. decandling).

From this video, well worth a listen in full.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like his "not always true" statement... however his list is true more often than not :)

I would add another:
(8) Location. What works in one USDA Zone, or one part of the world, may not work in another.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For sure, location is a big thing, even aside from climate in general or big zones. Within one’s growing area, sun exposure, wind exposure, temperature fluctuations can vary so much, so you need to adjust this parameter at a very micro level even.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Teunis-Jan is a well-respected bonsai artist who runs a fairly big nursery (Old school building) and nearly daily hosts workshops.
What he tells you about trees generally can be accepted as truth. Especially as he words his advice carefully and brings these nuances to advice; e.g., Yes, I am styling this juniper and repotting. It is a bad example, and I am doing this because you are here. I am not too worried in this case because... I have done this for 30 years, I have a greenhouse to keep it in, and it is a young plant. If you do this at home, be 95% certain your tree will struggle or die.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome!

I really like this guy.

His video explaining the REALITY of trunk growth/thickness is still one I “mentally visit” and disperse information FROM often.

🤓

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome!

I really like this guy.

His video explaining the REALITY of trunk growth/thickness is still one I “mentally visit” and disperse information FROM often.

🤓
One of the best bonsai artists in the Netherlands. And a very cool store too. Part of his living room, more or less.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Great to see this put so concisely. Living things often react differently for many reasons but many humans only see in black/white, wrong/right so are reluctant to accept that there may be different possibilities that an work or that methods may need to be adjusted according to external influences.
I think that's the reason we have so many different opinions and techniques. All of them probably work for that person in their location with the trees they use but may not always be best for someone else in a different location.

Top Bottom